Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda Rubicon vs Yamaha Kodiak 450

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004 | 06:54 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Honda Rubicon vs Yamaha Kodiak 450

I'm buying my first ATV... After trying some different equipments I'm finally between a Honda F.Rubicon 2004 and a Yamaha Kodiak 450 2004... According to the quotes that I have the Kodiak is cheaper for $1,100 aprox... I live in Monterrey Mexico and I will use this ATV for riding trails and almost no work activities... I'll appreciate your comments... Thanks!

Old 05-14-2004 | 03:55 AM
Trailblazer

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] Go ahead and take the kodiak the extra pep and handling will be worth it. Too many people are hung up on Honda 0nly these days and Honda is stone cold reliable but the rest of the industry has caught up in reliability and surpassed them in ability and comfort.

Old 05-14-2004 | 01:04 PM
TIC
Pro Rider

I own a Rubicon, and ride with both the 400 and 450 kodiak.

Rubicon is bigger in size and dual shock on the back which I thought was a better thing for me since im over 300lbs, the kodiak only has one shock.

Lighting is superior on the rubicon. 3 head lights

the digital display is awesome also.

Rubicon and my buds kodiak 450 will be a photo finish tie in a 50 yard drag, but Kodiak will pass it top end.

The kodiak will go in and out of 4wd! youll love that, i dont have it. This is a great option that kodiak has.

And a locker front end for the kodiak. TRUE 4WD (im 99%sure on that)

Fit finish, my rubicon is better, and the aluminum wheels really make it sharp. they come standard.

On the rubicon I feal you will love the selectable gearing.

Rack weight? kodiak is by far better. the racks are even coated better.

Dont buy any "belt slipping stories" Ive seen these kodiaks do some amazing things and never once had a belt problem.

But I do like my bells and whistles Rubicon. However I would have bought a Yamaha but the honda dealer gave me a better trade in deal on my yamaha 99 vstar 1100. Believe that. so that is how I ended up with a honda.

Oh and the kodiak oil changes are a he11 of alot cheaper than the RUBICON!!!!!!!!!
mY opinion on these two bikes are just that my opinion. but i do know both very well.

Old 05-17-2004 | 12:50 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thanks!!!! I already decided for the Kodiak 450... I had a very good deal on the price from the dealer... And also your comments and many others that I have red on this website have been very helpfull... On Wendsday I'm picking up my Kodiak... And on Saturday we're going to a great place to try it... I can't wait...

Old 05-17-2004 | 01:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'm a little curious why you were comparing a 422cc to the 500. Is it because they are both auto's? Either machine would serve you well. You will be happy with the Kodiak 450. The locking diff and selectable 4x4 are nice features. Good luck with it.

Old 05-17-2004 | 01:15 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the comment ... I'm comparing these two equipments basically because price range that I have, both automatic and both 4x4... Is there a big difference on power with these two????

Old 05-17-2004 | 01:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I had compared the Kodiak 450 and Foreman 450 when I bought my Foreman. I haven't ridden a Rubi as of yet. The Kodiak has a higher top speed than the Foreman 450. The Foreman 450 has some nice low end pulling power. The Rubi would obviously have more power but it should because it is a 500. Honda really needs to make the Rubi a selectable 4x4. You have made a good choice. The Kodiaks are good machines. My neighbor has an older Kodiak 400.

I wanted a reliable machine and the 450 Foreman is known to be somewhat reliable. (not that the Kodiak isn't reliable) I also wanted a foot shift over a belt drive. I didn't want something too tall and I THINK the Kodiak was a little taller. <-(I think) There was also little things I didn't like. Like, I don't think the Kodiak has a storage area. (I'm trying to remember back almost a year.) Price was also an issue because the Yamaha dealer didn't want to deal. So, I got the Foreman cheaper. Right after I bought the Foreman, Honda reduced it's retail price a few hundred. I still got a decent price though.

You should be happy with the Kodiak 450. It's a good machine.

Old 05-17-2004 | 03:40 PM
Range Rover

Both bikes are are good, they both have their benefits. As far as top end goes kodiak has more but like all other utility hondas they are made for low end. That is why the have the 450R for top end. The only downfall of the kodiak is that it sounds like a snowmobile, and I have seen a broken belt and for a strange reason it was pulled out of the woods by a honda....lol

No matter what your choice you will be happy.....my overall choice is honda based on the fact that i do all of my own work and they are much easier to work on than any other bike on the market

Enjoy!!

Old 06-22-2004 | 12:46 AM
Pro Rider

Another thing to consider is the 05 kodiak has irs for a smother ride, but you will have to wait for a while for the new ones to come out.
Something to concider.