Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2005 Kodiak 450 issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 08:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Kodiak 450 issue

Looking for help!

2005 Kodiak 450 that when I turn the key on I have no lights. Can jump it off the starter solenoid and it will run for about 3 seconds and then die again. I have a new solenoid and a new battery. Need ideas of where to look next? Really hate to take it in, but I am really frustrated.

Thanks in advance

Old 07-20-2015, 02:46 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Surprised it runs at all but it sounds like the main fuse blown or the wire from the fuse to the ignition switch broken. You say you have fitted a new solenoid, on a Yam you can fit these backwards and this disconnects the fuse. B is stamped on the post you connect to the battery and an M on the one connected to the starter motor. The main fuse is on the solenoid by the way.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Solenoid is hooked up correctly. Double checked it. Got it started by jumping the posts on the solenoid tonight. It stayed running and I was able to ride it for about 5 minutes or so. But turn off the key and no power to the ignition again. So any other ideas? Hate to take it to the dealership but it is looking like that is the next step

Old 07-22-2015, 03:07 AM
Elite Pro Rider

It is a problem with that main fuse or the wire from it to ignition switch. The wire from the regulator branches into it so check if you have power to the regulator positive wire. Use a test lamp, not a meter. If you don't, the fault is close to the solenoid. If you do, the fault is between the regulator and switch, or the switch itself.

Just another thought, bad earth leads can cause problems too.

Old 07-23-2015, 03:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 03 , there is a fuse tucked down on the side of the battery compartment, that was my problem . Not sure if 03 to 05 is same setup or not

Old 07-23-2015, 05:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

I will look again. Both fuses on solenoid are good

Old 01-02-2017, 12:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Which and hand warmers are not working!!

Originally Posted by merryman
It is a problem with that main fuse or the wire from it to ignition switch. The wire from the regulator branches into it so check if you have power to the regulator positive wire. Use a test lamp, not a meter. If you don't, the fault is close to the solenoid. If you do, the fault is between the regulator and switch, or the switch itself.

Just another thought, bad earth leads can cause problems too.
hey I bought a kodiak 400 and when I was looking at it the guy told me he would nock the price down because the hand warmers arn't working but the winch isn't either I am looking for loose connections but can't find any, do you have any idea what this could be?

Old 01-03-2017, 03:55 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Both hand warmers and winch are accessories, so their electrics are as good as the person who fitted them. They should be on separate in line fuses, and most are wired via the accessory fuse in the bikes fuse box (if it has one) to stop them being left on with the ignition switched off. I work on very few bikes with winches, most farmers don't feel the need for one, as they know where to avoid on their own land, and can pull it out with the tractor if they need to. I do fit a lot of heated grips, and the grips themselves rarely last more than one year. If the warning light (if fitted) on the switch is on, and the grips don't work, suspect the heater elements in the grips. Check with a voltmeter or test lamp, if power is getting to the connector that each grip plugs into.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
Both hand warmers and winch are accessories, so their electrics are as good as the person who fitted them. They should be on separate in line fuses, and most are wired via the accessory fuse in the bikes fuse box (if it has one) to stop them being left on with the ignition switched off. I work on very few bikes with winches, most farmers don't feel the need for one, as they know where to avoid on their own land, and can pull it out with the tractor if they need to. I do fit a lot of heated grips, and the grips themselves rarely last more than one year. If the warning light (if fitted) on the switch is on, and the grips don't work, suspect the heater elements in the grips. Check with a voltmeter or test lamp, if power is getting to the connector that each grip plugs into.
there is no light on the heated grips they are newer heat demons and the winch is warn so they are both good brands would hate to replace them with somthing different. I will check fuses not sure where to find them on the bike I can probably find them but are they on the front or back of the machine? The main fuse is fine and works because I already checked it, its behind the battery.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:43 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Heat demons are tricky as the wires are soldered onto the switch by whoever fits them. I don't work on many Yamahas, and haven't fitted accessories, so don't know where it is easiest to tap into a wire that is live with ignition on. Check with a test lamp or meter, if you are getting power to and from the wires behind the switch. Winch wiring is more complex as it is more like a starter, with thick wires that take high power from battery to winch, via solenoid(s), and thin wires that go to the switch and then on to the solenoid(s), but again, first check live is getting to the switch.

Quick Reply: 2005 Kodiak 450 issue