Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Why would anyone use a K&N?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 01:28 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why would anyone use a K&N?

I really wish people would read what I write and stop assuming, you are making an *** out of you and me!!

My 300ex is a in good heath, I know I was at the strip and old cars blow up, thats besides the point my dad found EVEDENCE of dirt and contamination in the motor he showed me and said, told you that taking a stock air box off is "Fin" stupied he was right chocked! I didn't know what to say other than I understand what you are saying now, sorry!!

I don't care I am not saying anymore I have staded my point so have fun with you bikes and run a K&N's if you like to risk the relibilty of your investment!

Have fun

Eric Winkworth

Old 05-20-2004, 01:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

The guys post does have a bit of a point. A K&N without an outerwears or some other pre filter cover is dangerous. I like K&N's cus they save you money in the fact that you can recharge them, and they give you a ton of flow. However, I would never think of runing one without a prefilter. I ran a K&N on my 250r, but I have decided to go with the Curtis Sparks filter on the 450r. The Filter is 26 bucks and I'll probably have to change it two or three times a year, but it's worth it to me. Besides I think the K&N is about 60 bucks and the recharge kit is 30. Thats 90 bucks to run a used K&N or you can spend the same amount and run 3 brand new curtis spraks filters.

Just my 2 cents

Old 05-20-2004, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider

Hold a K&N up to the light. Can you see it shining through? Yep. Dirt can and will get through those holes. I run a K&N as well, but changing to a Twin Air soon.

Old 05-20-2004, 01:33 PM
Range Rover

So why post your 300Z car story in an ATV forum,

So your dad does a little CSI on your car............ you didn't just add an air filter you actually removed the airbox correct. When you are trying to deter people from using a product please relay all of the details, it makes people trust you if anything. Give a valid point and people will listen. Bash a product and give little or no detail as to what the situation was and you now know the result.....

Do what you like but 9 chances out of 10 it was a user error.

Old 05-20-2004, 01:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Okay, heres the deal on the nissan even though it doesnt belong in this thread or this forum for that matter, YOU DONT RUN OILED FILTERS ON TURBO CARS! It not only shortens the life span of your turbo but depending on the ammount of oil applied can cause several other problems. As for the cleaning link you put up. How many of you guys have odometers on your quads? I know i dont! Off-road applications are have different cleaning intervals then street cars. I agree that its always a compromise with filtration verses air flow but heres where common sense comes into play, where are you running? Are you a chump and running in the back of the crowd getting dusted out? theres lots of different factors which would take forever to explain. I HIGHLY DOUBT YOUR FILTER CAUSED YOUR NISSAN TO GRENADE OR YOUR QUAD FOR THAT MATTER. K&N filters are made from a surgical type cotton which has been tested to filter better as the cleaner gets dirtier to a certain extent! I think you need to consider some other causes like maybe you hacking away at it mechanicly. Just your understanding or how a simple air cleaner works worries me. I dont mean to slam you but you should kind of expect it by putting up a post like this. Theres a reason that K&N is a multi-million dollar company now and they didnt get there by causing peoples motors to blow up.

Old 05-20-2004, 01:53 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

K&N was developed for desert racing people. This arguement is pointless to me because I've used K&N with no problems.
Personally, I think foam filters suck but I don't go around bashing them. Well, actually they don't suck which is the problem(think about it).

Hate to brake it you Eric, but 200,000 miles is a LOT for any car. You should be K&N's poster boy!

I think next time I have a blow-out I'll blame Ford! Wait...somebody already did that! lol! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 05-20-2004, 01:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Okay i just saw this, now correct me if im wrong but if you hold your filter up to the light and dont see any light comming through then that must mean u have a super filter because NOTHING CAN GET THROUGH! Mechanics have been using this method for years to determine weather a filter is still good or not....................come on guys i just got joined this forum....YOUR BETTER THEN THIS.........

Old 05-20-2004, 01:57 PM
Pro Rider

no, you missed the point. If there are HOLES in the filter the dirt will get through.....

Old 05-20-2004, 02:07 PM
HA2
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u blew a car that you were racing up before what its known for going to, which by the way is by no means a fixed mileage rate, and you blamed the filter. this post shows more personal character than fact.

Old 05-20-2004, 02:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah i guess if you have a huge hole or two in your filter that will kind of hinder the whole filtration process, Ive held up my K&N's to light and the size of the "holes" doesnt differ too much from that of any other filter, unless you go foam and even then you still have those holes they are just not as uniformed as a paper/cotton filter and we all know how foam flows......This whole thread is pretty pointless, people have there opinions and have pretty much have made up their minds, even if K&N filters were the biggest crock ever all of us that spent 40+ dollars each filter are not gonna be quick to admit it. Do the research and run the product and maintain your bike, i think if you really pay attention to what is going on you'll know whats a good product