Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Why would anyone use a K&N?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 02:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why would anyone use a K&N?

I think everyone else has covered my point(s) exactly.

It's very hard to beat a well oiled K&N with Outerwears for performance and longevity.

<grins> further comments with-held.

he heh heh.

Old 05-20-2004, 03:02 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Raptorlegs
K&N was developed for desert racing people. This arguement is pointless to me because I've used K&N with no problems.
Personally, I think foam filters suck but I don't go around bashing them. Well, actually they don't suck which is the problem(think about it).

Hate to brake it you Eric, but 200,000 miles is a LOT for any car. You should be K&N's poster boy!

I think next time I have a blow-out I'll blame Ford! Wait...somebody already did that! lol! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Ha ha ha ha hahahahahahaha!!!!!!! I don't think I could have said it better myself!
K&N filters are NOT idiot proof! With proper care and a little common sense.... they work great!
They are on every vehicle I own, and two of them are Turbocharged!!!

I can't believe I even replied to such a dumb A$$'d post

Old 05-20-2004, 03:55 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, u guys covered every point I was going to make. This has been a great laugh tho, especially the part where the filter is the reason his car blew up! haha[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 05-20-2004, 04:07 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Heapster
oh geez this is so tempting........

got to resist urge to slam.......

must

push

away from

key-
board...

I'll be nice this time. <grins> wouldn't want to hurt a guys feelings.

I'm sure a 300ex owner from Ontario with 33 posts must know more than all the other 100's of thousands of people who have been running K&N's for many many many years in numerous applications world wide.

Yes you're right. K&N's are the anit-christ, must spread the word. Evil work of the devil I say.
um i really wouldn't judge people by how many posts they have, for all u know, he could know a thousand times more than u do, and u only have 300, thats not too much compared to the people with 5, 10 thousand

Old 05-20-2004, 04:43 PM
Pro Rider

K&N In use here on a 400EX w/outerwear and EHS Racing air box top. I am waiting on it to blow up while I ride it for years and years.
K&N on my 1996 Ford Mustang Cobra; works great!
K&N all the way....

Old 05-20-2004, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider

iv got K&N on my 400ex with outerwears and its been on there since 2002, never had a problem and in the summer dust is so bad here a 3 hour ride = 2 days of sh1ting dirt and chewing sand lol[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-20-2004, 07:30 PM
Trailblazer

Look two guys that have actually looked at my points and at least partly agree with me!

The guys post does have a bit of a point. A K&N without an outerwears or some other pre filter cover is dangerous
I agree that outwears help a tons and I would recommend them strongly with any K&N
Hold a K&N up to the light. Can you see it shining through? Yep. Dirt can and will get through those holes. I run a K&N as well, but changing to a Twin Air soon.
I agree with this statment also, mabye the oil is supposed to cover those holes when you cake it on!

The story isn't only about a car, but a 250x my brother had, my dad also found contaminates in the motor. From what he says it is from running a K&N!
Just to clear up another thing I ran my STOCK air box in my 300zx with a panel filter, I figured running a K&N with a turbo isn't a great idea, but why wouldn't it be a good idea punkXcasanova? My dad even told me that I was dumb for running it, he said why would you run that anything, on any bike or, car it is just dumb, you are compermising your investment! He said to me even a good foam filter like a OEM honda one has nuts filtration abilty just look at it the tiny foam poars are virtuall undetectable on the inside, while the outer poars catch slighly smaller peices of dirt. As for a K&N I geuss most people just think that it filters the air coming into your box and makes it perfectly clean in the 1/8 inch of filter that it goes through or mabye the metal mesh stops the big pieces? I don't know, it isn't too hard for me to understand coming from the old man, mabye some of you guys out there need to have a talk with him!

I know he changed my cousins minds on there 250r's he was sick and tired of having to fix the jugs for them on there r's and they were sick of it too,(take note they still probably lasted a season) so he went over and looked at there bikes and found them running K&N's that supposivly have a 10 Year / Million Mile Limited Warranty and they were probably as good visually as new, which is okay, but not great, he told them granteed, (his word) spend the 35 bucks on a uni and I won't have to hone your jugs for twice as long, they said they were starting to wonder how good they acutually filtered all the dirt and stuff coming off the others back tires, so they did and it has been twice as long already, they have even beat on them harder from what they told me, it really boosted the relibilty.

I don't care about what people do with there money, go out and buy shares in K&N for all I care, I am just saying it can't filter nearly as good as I am sure everyone wants them too, or believes them too.

Convince me that I am wrong!

because I still believe I am right!!!

keep your HONDA TANK A TANK, don't run K&N!
NO WING NO PRAYER

Old 05-20-2004, 07:41 PM
Trailblazer

I never said that K&N's were the reason my car blew up, you block heads, lets be a little more stubbern.
I definatly think it didn't help, that I put a K&N on it. Seemed to run fine for the old man the life he put it through!!! She probably was ready to go, I am just telling you that he FOUND signs of dirt in the engine, so it must be doing a great job of filtering eh!

Whatever I don't know why I am wasting my time have fun, I hope I got someone out there thinking and wondering how a tiny thin filter can keep a world of dust and dirt out of your motor!!! You know I'm right so just buy a good foam filter and get some bel ray foam filter oil and you are laughing, never have to worry about dirt in you motor!! Anyway, watch out fer trees!!!

Peace guys

No wing No prayer

Old 05-20-2004, 08:45 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: NiceFast300ex

I ran the K&N on my 300zx turbo nissan and had. She grended at the strip with ony 315,000 km on it, these cars are known fer runnin to 400,000 km and over. I belame it on the K&N and so did my dad, the expert engine machinest that works for car quest! he found damage on the valves and on cylinders from dirt getting through my K&N! FYI I cleaned and oiled every 3000 km with every oil change
LOL....and u said
I never said that K&N's were the reason my car blew up, you block heads, lets be a little more stubbern

ohh crap...this is funny stuff

i know many ppls that use K&N filters and never seemed to have the problems you have had....

your just puking up garbag you heard from someone...who apparently witnessed it...when TONS of other ppls have never had a problem. Mabey its cus of that original person, didnt know how to install it, oil it properly and throw a pre-filter on it...who knows....

Old 05-20-2004, 08:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

How could thousands of people be using a damaging air filter with only you figuring it out. Hmmmm lets ponder that for a moment..................... oh wait it can't. Even with all the magazines using K&N on most of their project quads and them not having issues you still think that your filter is the problem, two words "Human Error" [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]