Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

List Your 400ex problems here:

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 04:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default List Your 400ex problems here:

Originally posted by: NLWarrior01
Originally posted by: SpeedDemon13i was riding today and my friend on a 4x4 rancher that goes 50-55 started pulling away from me on my 2003 400ex. whats the matter with it? i was in 5th and almost full throttle, but its also not broken in yet, its a brand new 400ex i got 2 days ago and got about 6 to 7 hours, is that the reason it was going to slow
Have you checked your throttle to make sure it's not adjusted back so that you don't actually get WOT? Even fresh off the floor a 400EX should be able to crop dust a rancher .. probably pay the price in maintenance tho for not breaking in properly .. but that's a whole nuther topic [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
I agree. check that cable. mine was not set right either and it made a big difference

Old 06-08-2004, 08:53 AM
Pro Rider

my 2002 400ex problem:
1.starter solenoid crapped out
2.alot of missing, broke, stripped bolts.
3. valve stem on rear right tire is crap ... and leaks sometimes
4. Front sprocket, all the teeth are snapped/broken at LEAST half way over.

The only big problem was the solenoid. I just had to jump it with a screw driver until i got a new one. I bought this used with ALL of those problems except for the sprocket. I managed to do that to the sprocket because i like to wheelie ALOT, and i do this by starting from a stand still and sorta almost dumping the clutch... so it puts alot of pressure on those teeth. They werent even wearing now or worn out or anything until i snapped them. The chain and rear sprocket are in excellent condition.

Old 06-09-2004, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

my friend sanpped his oil filter cover bolt (the long right one) and then his top oil line that goes into the clutch side of the motor by the oil pump. the 400ex bolts are very thin and soft. his seleniod also went bad.

Old 06-10-2004, 02:06 AM
Range Rover

Ish416, dude .. sounds like you got a lemon there .. I've never heard of anyone with that magnitude of problems on any 4 wheeler .. let alone a honda!!! Wow.
I will admit that I have rode my 400 harder than most people do, and I also used to ride for 3 - 8 hours a day for about 4 years. Mine definately has more miles or hours than alot of people have on their quad. I am honestly happy that mine has lasted this long. Just upset that I hear about people that have 1970 Honda's that run better now than what they did when it rolled off the production line.

Every single Honda around my part of Indiana/Ohio is a complete hunk of crap. Mine was one of the very first 400EX's off the production line, so I excpect a few more problems. I can't say that I personally know anyone who has/had a Honda and was happy with it.

Truth is I have never seen a Honda that aged well, maybe its from neglect or something else, but everyone I know that has a Honda usually has to say that they can't go riding cause the Honda broke down.

Now, I am not a Honda hater or any of that crap, but I will not buy another Honda ( guess that kinda makes me one ). Well I would seriously consider a 650R/EX but other than that ... nope.

Old 06-10-2004, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider

hey ish, u gotta start wearin a helmet man. just think if something went wrong when u jumped over that grizzly. no offense but remind me of the rednecks i saw ridin aournd the upper penisula without helmets.

Old 06-10-2004, 02:12 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ISH, I have to totally disagree man, 300ex's and 400ex's survive about everything you can throw at them(in the sport division). Ive seen so many that have been abused and not taken care of and they just keep on going.

As for mine, I keep up on the maintnance, but also have some hard hours on it to. Besides normal wear and tear(brakes, tires, ect.) I have had no troubles other than broken bolts. Even the bearings last longer than most quads as long as u seal them right.

The only major component that has brokes, is the right a-arm because of some jack hole that rammed me.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 06-10-2004, 02:32 PM
sam
Pro Rider

ive owned 2- 400ex B4 my DS. nuts like to jump off everyware. (just the oppisit on the DS cant get some to losen) other than that great quad.