Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

300ex (thumper) porting questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2000, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that I've gotten my quad modded a bit I gotta look in the future. My psychic tells me Nerf Bars and porting. I've already had a post on nerfs. But now I'm questioning whether I want to port.

Well here are my questions...
1. Can I say where I want an improvement in-Midrange? I'm looking for enhance performance in the midrange-i have the lowend and dont care about the top end. So can I tell them where I want the improvement?
2. If I AM able to get an improvement in the midrange power, I want to know what octane will I need. I definitely want pump gas. But what octane rating should/could I use-> 87/89/93. Will I need race gas or Octane enhancers? Can I use the regular 87 or have to use premium 93..
3. Will I need to use it with other mods as a combo or can I tell them to port it to my current modifications (see below what they are)?
4. Where can I get it ported? Can I bring the whole quad into a dealer (depending on the dealer ill call first) or must I take the cylinder and bring it to a dealer or must I take the cylinder and send it to a company? If you've ported yours what did you do?

Any help would be appreciated. But please reply to the HOST so the e-mail notification comes to me.. I hope to get more posts in here so comeon!

Old 08-07-2000, 09:29 AM
Trailblazer

hey, we just have been talking about that same topic!! there is a whole lot of info at this site!!http://pub20.ezboard.com/bhondatrx250r just click on "tech help", then on "more bottom end"...the topic is about bottom end, but also applies to mid range..your gas type will depend on the compression you end up with...it would be really cheaper to pull your jug off and send it to them, rather than send the whole thing in.... read here:http://pub20.ezboard.com/bhondatrx250r

Old 08-07-2000, 10:33 PM
Range Rover

Fist off,on a four stroke engine a cam is the primary factor on where the most power will be made,followed by intake and exhaust port length,shape and size,valve size,compression ratio.If you are looking for max mid power I would look at what is termed a trail cam.Have head ported and polished to match cam profile as well as correct compression ratio for cam profile.In your case I would recommend Intake/exhaust port matching and polish to clean up inperfections.A more radical cam can use higher compression ratios and still run on pump gas with no problems due to valve overlap and cylinder compression bleedoff.Contact a reputable four stroke engine builder to get recommendations on what you need.
In the case of a 2-stroke,it has no cam or valves or ports like a 4-stroke.Its ports are in the cylinder walls not in head, the porting done to cylinder is like regrinding a cam in essence.You are altering the size and shape of each port(hole)to become a factor at a certain point in the pistons revolution.When porting a 2-stroke,only very experienced pepole should do it.Hope this helps some.

Old 08-07-2000, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

well mines a 4stroke. my question is since i need to get it ported and you reccomend a midrange cam. Okay. But after that you say that the compression ratio will have to change. What octane rating would I use-93, 93 with booster, race fuel? Would I need a different piston? How much are we talking now?