Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

03 Ranchers ES not working with only 215 hrs.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 04:30 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Ranchers ES not working with only 215 hrs.

Well it happened yesterday while my daughter was riding my Rancher it just stopped. My son looked at the fuel gauage and said that it is low and put the tank on the reserve and it started up, but it would not shift. So he rides to get me and when I get to my daughter I try and shift the bike into gear but nothing works. I notice that the N is blinking on the gauge but nothing is happening when I press the shifter buttons. So I get the manual shifter that comes with the bike and shift the bike into gear and ride it back to the truck. Now all these thoughts are running through my head telling me you should have listened and not bought the ES model but I was certain that I have read all the reviews about the ES and that the problems other people had were a minority and that it would not happen to me. Oh well. The bike runs great but will still not shift and the gauge is still blinking were the gear indicator is. It looks like something needs to be reset but I am stumped on this one. If any of you have delt with this type of situation and had it repaired, please give me your input.

Mahalo.

Old 06-28-2004, 06:27 PM
Trailblazer

Any help or info would be appreciated. I plann to bring the quad back to the dealer tomorrow.

Old 06-28-2004, 08:47 PM
Trailblazer

Wow! I thought maybe someone would have experienced this or heard something about this. It must be just me.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 06-28-2004, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

did you try shuting it off? sometimes that will correct some problems. or you can try disconnecting the battery for like 5 minutes. sorry to hear your having trouble. thats all i can think of right now. good luck.

Old 06-28-2004, 09:02 PM
Trailblazer

Hmm..I just bought my rancher 4x4 es this past weekend.

I didn't get the extended warranty and may just have to call back and get it.

Anyhow, have you checked all the fuses? Have you tried hitting the shift button and then bouncing the quad up/down and side to side?

Old 06-28-2004, 10:22 PM
Trailblazer

I did try and disconnect the battery but that did not work. I did not check the fuses but that will be the next step when I get home. I also tried moveing it back and forth but the buttons do not respond, no noise just like the switch is completely dead. everything else on the control panel seems to work like lights, starter button and kill switch. It could be the fuse. But I don't have the manual with me to look that up, I will have to wait till I get home. If all this does not work I am definately bringing it in to the dealer to check it out.

Thanks for the responses, if there is any more keep them coming. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-29-2004, 04:24 PM
Trailblazer

"Update" Well yesterday when I got home and I started up the quad and pressed the shifters it worked. Wow! Ok what is going on. Well after reading the manual, and asking the service department at the dealer they said when that happens you need to use the manual shifter and do a procedure that will reset the ES. Oh well. I will continue to moniter this and keep everyone posted.

Old 06-29-2004, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider

Man, this problem seems to hit a lot of bikes. I'm glad I got the manual shift, but you think Honda would recall or something on the electronic shift models. How are these circuits going to perform 8 years from now? Bummer.

Old 06-29-2004, 08:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

... and asking the service department at the dealer they said when that happens you need to use the manual shifter and do a procedure that will reset the ES
Anybody have an idea what the 'procedure' is??

-Frank

Old 06-29-2004, 08:24 PM
Trailblazer

When I get home tonight I will try and post the procedure. If someone else knows it they are welcome to post.

Quick Reply: 03 Ranchers ES not working with only 215 hrs.