Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Missing/Stalling at Low to Idle Speeds

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 11:31 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missing/Stalling at Low to Idle Speeds

I have a '96 300EX, went out riding the other day and at the beginning of the ride my bike seemed to be missing some when I would be running the throttling at less than half. As I got farther into the ride if I didn't run my bike in the upper half of the throttle it would stall/quit on me. I had run my quad on reserve the other day for a little while and thought maybe something had slipped through into my carb and clogged my pilot jet. So, yesterday I took my carb off and cleaned both my pilot and main jets, also ran carb cleaner through the carb when I started it up. Seemed to run alright for a couple minutes while I was running it around the yard, but low and behold, the missing started up again and then it would quit at low to idle speeds. My air filter is pretty old and haggard, I'm going to be replacing that this week, but I wouldn't think that the air filter would cause the bike to die like that. I've cleaned it regularly, it's just old. Any suggestions would be appreciated guys. Thanks!

-Frank

Old 06-29-2004, 12:19 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would clean the carb again, drain the tank and invest in a fuel filter. If it ran all right after the cleaning, you may have sucked more in. I bought a $4 in line filter at WalMart. Seems to work pretty good.

Might change the plug too.

Old 06-30-2004, 09:59 AM
Range Rover

did it run just fine before this........if so then it could be some of the things you mentioned. If the weather has changed and it runs different, then you may need to re-jet. I would replace the plug first and make sure everything is clean/new before you re-jet. If you rejet it sounds like you need to richen it up. Describe if the cutting out feels like flooding or not sparking or not enough fuel (not enough fuel would backfire alot)

Old 06-30-2004, 01:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

I bought the bike used in October of last year, I ran it fine all through the winter and spring. So, it ran fine for 7 months. The only weather change would be the heat of Arizona coming back for the summer, but I was riding my bike at night when this was happening so the heat of the day was gone. I replaced the plug about 4 months ago, I pulled it yesterday and it looks fine, no fouling or anything. The cutting out feels more like flooding.