Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rejet or not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 11:06 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rejet or not?

I put a Megamax II slip on on my 250ex a few weeks ago. It seems to run fine, besides a few pops (which i used to get without it). Well I called my dealership to see if they would just tune it up for me, and they told me I had to put on a new airfilter and rejet it. Fmf's website said the stock jetting for the 250ex is fine. Will it hurt the engine how im riding it now? I just want to know cuz im going up wheeling in a couple weeks and will be riding it alot and I want to know if I should do anything to it first. Thanks.

Old 07-01-2004, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider
Default Rejet or not?

Pull the spark plug on your bike and see what color it is if the plug is tan then you are fine but if it is white then you need to rejet. The shop should have told you that it would be better if you bought a quality air filter and then rejetted. You can do it with the stock filter but you will not see as much of a power increase.

Old 07-01-2004, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rejet or not?

i would go up on the mainjet 1 size. going up more than that might hurt your power. also, turn the screw on the bottom of the carb out 1/2 turn or so. it should be a bronze colored screw that you turn with a flat blade screwdriver.

Old 07-01-2004, 04:47 PM
Trailblazer
Default Rejet or not?

Do I pull the spark plug right out of the cyclinder, or just take the rubber thing on top of it off to check it? I pulled the rubber thing off and there seemed to be oil on the spark plug, which was normal color. Im planing on getting a new air filter and rejet it when I get back from camping, but I dont have time right now to do it.

Old 07-01-2004, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rejet or not?

Sorry kid but you might want to wait til daddy gets home to help you. You have to remove the spark plug not the boot. Remove the plug and check the electrode on the end. Like I said before it should be tan. If it is white you will need to rejet. But be sure that you know what you are doing because it is easy to strip out the head and then it will be a real mess.

Old 07-02-2004, 12:43 AM
Trailblazer
Default Rejet or not?

Wow, you dont have to be an a** hole about it, I was just checking. I have no one to teach me this stuff, and im just trying to learn about it. Im 15, not 10. I would have taken the plug right out, but its pretty hard to get out and i dont think i have the right tool to do it. Is there ne special tool to take it out?

Old 07-02-2004, 02:01 AM
Pro Rider
Default Rejet or not?

well there are special socket wrench pieces that say "spark plug" on them and there the right size. im not sure what size it is though. there might be one in ur tool kit with the quad.

Trending Topics

Old 07-02-2004, 04:01 AM
Pro Rider
Default Rejet or not?

you should be able to do it without a problen. main rule though, if your not sure about what your doin, ask someone that knows. thats exatly what you doing here. i'm 15 aswell, and i've taught myself most everything that i know, i wish i knew about this place when i was younger. you should read your owners manual, its full of alot of usefull info, and it probably covers how to take the spark plug out. anyhow, so how are those dirtdevil tires on the foreman? i jsut picked up a set of 26" XT's and wanna know what you think about the DD's

Old 07-02-2004, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider
Default Rejet or not?

Hey man i was not being an a**hole! I was simply saying that you should wait for someone that knows what they are doing to help you. So tell me since I am such an a** when you put the plug back in how much should you tighten it down? As far as it will go or what? C'mon I was trying to help you not to tear anything up earlier but if you want to really learn the only way to learn what not to do is try it and pay for your mistakes.

Old 07-03-2004, 12:43 AM
Trailblazer
Default Rejet or not?

Ok, sry i guess it was just how u went about saying it. Anyway, if the bike does need rejetting, will I be hurting it much by riding it or not? Ive read pretty much the whole manual sharpie, and almost anything about working on the engine it says to go to your dealer. Those dirt devils are pretty good though, their tread is agressive, but not too agressive. It helps the foreman in mud quite a bit too, Im accualy thinking about getting some for my EX so I dont get stuck so often. One more question, whats the best aftermarket air filter for muddy areas?