Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Don't recommend buying the 400ex polyurethane a-arm bushing kit from e-bay

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 07:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't buy 400ex polyurethan a-arm bushing kit from e-bay

If you have been tempted to buy the polyurethane type bushings, I don't recommend it. These are the ones where you remove the existing bearing by taking the two clips out and knocking the factory bearing out. You replace it will a metal sleeve and a polyurethane, "self-lubricating" bushing on each side.

Go ahead and spend the money on the factory a-arms instead. You will be much happier. First of all, the polyurethane bushings squeak like a stuck pig. When you finally get tired of dealing with them (and they don't last as long as the factory ones anyhow), good luck getting your bolts back out of these sleeves. I greased the bolts really well before putting them in too. It is if the sleeve is too small for the diameter of the factory bolt. As I remember now, I had to tap the bolts in because it was such a tight fit.

In the end, I spent about 3 hours removing the 2 lower a-arms. I was able to cut the bolt heads off on one side and then use a torch on two of them and pound the remainder of the bolt out towards the rear of the quad. On the other side, I had to use a dremel and cut a slice out of the tube on the a-arm. Then, I heated it red hot with a torch and bent it open. Once I had the a-arm off, I still had to deal with getting the rest of the bolt out. I ended up cutting each side off as close to the frame as possible then bending the mounting tabs apart enough to let the remaining bolt and sleeve fall out. No matter how hard I pounded, I could not break the bolt loose out of the metal sleeve.

Hope this helps anyone who was thinking about going in this direction. For me, I only used them on the lower a-arms. I could have spent $80 for 2 brand new lower a-arms. I now need to replace the bolts I messed up which will run about $21. All-in-all, I saved no money, spent about 3 extra hours, and have to wait for parts to arrive to finish the job.

/Jon

Old 07-18-2004, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider

You could just buy new sherical bearings for you a arms instead of buying new arms.

Old 07-18-2004, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider

i had the same thing for my old 230s and i loved them,