Old 07-24-2004, 09:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 07-24-2004, 11:22 PM
Trailblazer
Default is this a scam?

Greetings,
I saw this post and had to comment. I am a law enforcement officer in West Virginia. In the past year I have personally worked four (4) cases involving the purchase of quads over the internet. In my cases, they were all ebay related, all victims sent money out of the US to Canada, and all expected someone to ship a quad from a foreign country to them in the US. Please be extremely cautious when dealing with foreign transactions, or any quad purchase that just seems too good to be true. Pleae do not be fooled by the look of the advertisements or website, or auction. You should not attempt, in my opinion, to purchase a quad over the internet from outside the US for these reasons. Here are some ways to help determine if a deal is legitimate.

1) Try to only deal within the US, or in person in Canada. Get an actual person's name. Ask how to spell it several times, make them repeat it.

2) LIE to them.....when they tell you the location of the quad, lie to them and tell them that you have a friend (by coincidence) that only live about 20 minutes away and that you want your friend to stop and verify the condition of the quad / person / dealership. I dont care if you have to say you have a friend in India, just do it and wait for a reply... a legit deal should make arrangements for a time and date for the meeting......or else.

3) Try to obtain a phone number and physical address for the person and/or dealership. A website is not a physical address. A cell phone is not useful, no matter what CSI says. Dealers, like this one on the post, that have a yahoo or hotmail email??? No wonder they sell cheap it's a free anonymous email service...now why would a legit dealer need that???

4) Call the actual phone number, better yet, look it up in the phone directory. A legitimate dealer should be listed.

5) Obtain the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) for the machine and call your local police for verification it is a legit VIN and not stolen. If they give you a hard time about it, tell them that you will be reporting the crime to them if you get ripped off after you asked for and were denied help. It's easier for them to run the VIN, than to investigate a theft complaint.

6) When you find the physical address, call the local police in that town to see if they know the dealer or person, ask for reputation.

7) Thou shalt not belive the feedback numbers, no matter how good they look. Ask for actual people as references, actual addresses, actual phone numbers.

8) Do not come off your demands, do not let questions go unanswered, read every response carefully to see if it actually says anything legit other than "blah, blah, blah" send me a money order.

9) Please do not think you are going to pay $3,000.00 below MSRP for a new quad...dont be stupid, if it were real, there would be a six lane highway to the front door of that dealership!!!!

10) Good Luck....I hope this helps, but I also know that the odds are that someone right now is sending a Western Union Money Order wire transfer to Canada for that new Rincon for $2,600.00. Hope it's not you!!!

Old 07-25-2004, 01:25 AM
Trailblazer
Default is this a scam?

thanks encorepete
I wouldnt buy a wheeler from a website
i was just wondering if it was a scam

Old 07-25-2004, 03:08 AM
Quad Patrol
Default is this a scam?

encore, Excellent advice. Now, if people would only follow half of it.

Old 07-25-2004, 07:16 AM
Pro Rider
Default is this a scam?

yes this is a scam look at the prices way way below dealer price most of these guys are from romania i mess with them all the time on ebay and once you ask a question about the quad on ebay expect a fake email from ebay wanting you to update your info and password and credit card information or your ebay account will be suspended. if you get any of these forward the email to spoof@ebay.com and do not respond to these fake emails even opening these might infect your computer the name on the email is from ended@ebay.com i only mess with them on my webtv email since its bulletproff against anything.