Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

SP500 vs Ruby did anyone read the article...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2000, 02:28 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after reading the about the shootout i just have one question...how did the sp500 win???

near as i could tell according to the article the only thing the sp500 does better is go faster on the top end and jump a little better when going fast.

on the other hand it is 70 pounds heavier, belt drive, steel wheels, slower on take off, wheelie prone on hills, the only quad of the group that had a mechanical defect, had a questionable reliability factor, one hand brake for everything, disc brakes that wear out faster, all
of which seems to be negatives to me. don't get mad that is what the article said. it would appear the writers place the best qualifying factor on a 4x4 is one that can go 60mph and jump. if you want to go 60 and jump, go to the races.
most 4x4 riders go slower and need reliability, less weight (goes through mud better), good pull off the front end of the power band, sealed brakes with front and rear choice when they need to be applied, etc....

it seems the writers forgot the the purpose of a 4x4 shootout, that is to test the machines for real world applications, and got lost on trying to win a drag race on a dirt track.

Old 08-15-2000, 09:33 AM
Pro Rider

Where did you read this???

If your so mad then you should e-mail the writers, whoever they are.

Old 08-15-2000, 10:23 AM
Pro Rider

I'll take an atv with disc brakes anyday over drum brakes, disc will wearout sooner but they will stop the atv anytime any place under any conditions and are easier to replace, yea disc brakes for me!!!

Old 08-15-2000, 11:39 AM
Pro Rider

Rancher,

Who says the SP500 is wheely prone?

Who says belt drive is bad?

Who says disc brakes are bad?

Dou you really think the Rubicon is a better mudder with less pulling power,less ground clearance, and a limited slip front end.

This is how I see it:

The Sp500 is faster, muds better, jumps better, is more comfortable, and has more pulling power.

The Rubicon will probably be more reliable but hasn't proven itself yet.

As far as hill climbing, I haven't been hill climbing on a Rubi yet so I don't know.

Greg

Old 08-15-2000, 12:26 PM
Pro Rider

I believe the shoot out was done against the SP500 HO. The HO model is supposed to have up to 20% more power than the standard model. The HO has a better sealed transmission.

Not to belittle the SP500 victory but look at it this way, do you always agree with the people that do movie reviews?

The most important thing in a quad is how it fits YOU.

When I was new to the sport, I sat on a SP500, didn't like it because it felt to big. Now, last week I sat on one, it didn't seem nearly as big!

Old 08-15-2000, 12:29 PM
Pro Rider

I forgot something, the SP500 still has to do a shootout between the Traxter, & maybe the AC500, & possible a new big bore 4x4 from Kawasaki.

Why wasn't the Grizzly in the shoot out?

The SP500 is still king for now..............

Old 08-15-2000, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider

Greg, just as an FYI they mentioned the front end coming up on hill climbs in the DW article.

Have not noticed anything like that on the Rubi, but I can honestly say that I have lost lots of ***** when it comes to hills due to my recent rolling.

Old 08-15-2000, 03:35 PM
Pro Rider

SNOW
I was wondering the same thing about the GRIZZ and had forgot about the Traxter&CAT yes would be great to see them together.But get guy's like you and I to ride them,everyday people that ride whatever and have them do the testing.To me seems most of these testers are sport racer type.Which is ok but,but would like to see regular 4x4 guy rideing it.
I'm like you put very little into what you hear from mag's,but can say that I know from personal experience that untill the others came out with belt,that a lot not all but some ATV pulls made Polaris pull in thier own class,wouldn't nothing touch them.
I'd go with the 2000 600-700 better ride and I think zippier.Days are starting to gety shorter.CM

Old 08-15-2000, 04:00 PM
Pro Rider

You forgot to mention that it beat the Rubicon in every category. rides better, more power and it is not better in mud. questionable reliablity is no longer a issue.

Old 08-15-2000, 04:02 PM
Pro Rider

True why wasn't the Grizz there it certainly is a worthy contender for sure.

Quick Reply: SP500 vs Ruby did anyone read the article...