Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

sand &water in engine 400ex

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2000, 02:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gabe , I am not sure I understand why you would want to oil your K$N filter so heavily knowing full well that your engine would be unable to pull in the the proper amount of air in order to combust? Even if this heavily oiled filter would have kept dirt out ,your bike is not rideable? I suggest you follow the instructions on the K&N box? Also, be sure you grease the inside rim of the filter that goes up against the inside of your air box.Hope this helped?

Old 08-18-2000, 02:16 AM
Pro Rider

You are right motorhead Gabe is a good man he helps lots of people-just ask him.

Old 08-18-2000, 02:18 AM
Pro Rider

Gabe, you have given me no pleasure,I don't why you think you did- you are very self-serving,conceited individual.

Old 08-18-2000, 03:20 AM
Pro Rider

Honda agreeged with you? does Honda consult with you on warranty cases,my God your ego continues to grow as you post

It was a figure of speech, though you had the intelligence to figure that one out on your own.

And Honda is pretty good with their warranties issues-How do you know this? do they share all this privy information with you so you can tell them what you think?

No, personal experience. Re-read my post.

Why do think you should decide who has something to offer in this forum and who dosen't

Where'd that come from? I keep finding myself asking that question about your posts....

My remarks about your 250r were sincere

Accept my apologies then. I don't know how else you expected it to be taken given your past remarks...

I am not sure why you have taken it upon yorself to be an all knowing judge and jury when you nothing about the case

I remember the thread you started a while back, didn't remember seeing anything there that pointed fault toward Honda (maybe I'm forgetting something?), then you post here pointing fingers and calling names. Once again, there are very limited ways sand can enter an engine, for some reason you are keeping this big secret to yourself (it's easier to make personal attacks than come up with facts). You continue to fail to educate us all as to what your circumstances were. Keep in mind that someone at Honda does monitor these forums. How do I know this? Visits to my website and Webserver logs....

I sincerely hope you get a new engine from Honda, they are a large corporation, it's not going to hurt them. Although I do feel for you (no one likes to hear about such misfortune), if it were my job to make sure the company wasn't getting screwed by marginal warranty claims & personally coming from an automotive background, you would have a lot of convincing to do. That was my whole point in the first place.

Actually I almost had a similar experience. I was in Little Sahara, I had cleaned & oiled my stock foam filter before the trip and put a small amount of grease on the sealing surface where the filter clamps on the intake. I hit a few big air jumps and returned to camp. I was talking with a friend and removed my seat and looked at the filter. It was laying in the bottom of the airbox, the intake was completely open (my bike was 3 months old at the time). Had I not noticed I would probably be in the same boat as you. I realized that the grease had lubricated the filter enough that it couldn't be clamped down tight enough. Was this incedent Honda's fault? No. If my engine had been ruined would I be sick? Yes. Would I have persecuted Honda had they refused to warranty it? No. It was not a defect on their part, how could I expect them to warranty it. It was my own attempt at sealing the filter better that resulted in it coming off, exposing the engine to unfiltered air.

BTW, I do understand the theory around filteration, it's one of the more simple principles we are faced with. I still don't like the tone of the K&N manual about dusty conditions, they all but come out and tell you that it's going to suck dirt. I just found it interesting that they made a point in their manual about special warnings for off road use, then pointed to the dirt helping the filter do it's job. Makes it sound an awful lot like they don't have much faith in their filter in dusty conditions.

The filtering layer of the K&N is also much more thin than that of a foam filter, excess dirt buildup will be forced through the filter much sooner than a comparable foam. Most folks with K&N's will also tell you that they clean their filters much more often and the users of foam.

Good luck Tim, I hope that with this we can end this issue....

Old 08-18-2000, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider

Actually, per the directions supplied by K&N an extra coat of oil is required for offroad use. That is what I did. My bike was rideable, just at the point at which the unequal length header tubes affect the powerband and under the correct conditions, it would go rich and sometimes bog, for the first hour or so of riding with it.

Read my other post about applying a thin layer of grease around the filter mount. No thanks, I'll take my chances.

My e-mail tells me you have decided to be Mr. Forum stalker, finding my posts and replying with the same cheezy "sarcasm". Time to grow up Timmy. Maybe you can be promoted to Net Stalker, track me down elsewhere on the net, my tracks aren't too hard to follow, maybe even do something cool like mail bomb me.

Old 08-18-2000, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

No thanks Mr. Tone moderator, I really don't find you or your post very interesting or well thought out. I will stop replying to your post so you can go and help some more people. One last question -is Motorhead your moms moniker?

Old 08-18-2000, 09:30 PM
Trailblazer

A most amusing thread.

Old 08-19-2000, 04:19 AM
Pro Rider

No, I'm not Gabe's mother... however, your mom told me last night that you need to behave, or else she might have to spank you (and belive me, she can spank!). :P

Old 08-21-2000, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider

Just wanted to say that adding a aftermarket filter does NOT void the warranty. I would've gone after them too.

Old 08-21-2000, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider

buddy, you've got a SERIOUS problem! Get a life man! "i get that alot"?????? yeah, okay, whatever you say. Every post i've seen you write was sarcasm towards another rider. And yes, I too am now writing sarcasm towards you. But man you really have a problem i just had to point out.

Quick Reply: sand &water in engine 400ex