Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Skid plate install

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2000, 09:31 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a tip if you are installing a PRM alum. skid plate on a Rancher. Make sure you get the two front bolts installed first,not tight -but have the threads engaged about three turns or so. Then work your way back getting all the bolts in but not tight. After all are in place then go back and tighten them all.
Had to learn the hard way , and had to drop the whole thing to get the front bolts started.
Other than that , it was a perfect fit and I feel better about running the woods/and mud holes now.

Old 08-17-2000, 10:50 AM
Range Rover

I was amazed at the amount of things that I heard hit the plate on a normal trail ride. The plate also helps sit on top of the mud when you get in the deep stuff. I am very happy with the PRM product.....

Old 08-18-2000, 04:59 PM
Pro Rider

rbrok,

thanks for the information. Next payday, I am purchasing my skid plates from PRM. Did you get the CV guards also?

I hope the skid plates works with my ox lite cv joint protectors.

Old 08-18-2000, 06:33 PM
Trailblazer

I just installed their skid plates and a-arm guards. I also had the trouble in the front part of the plate make-up. I did not want to take the plate back off, so I used c-clamps to get my front bolts to work. The plate fits good and looks good but PRM needs to bend up the front part more. The A-ARMS also cover the cv joints. I had no problem with them going on my Rancher. But the back side of my A-ARM guards rub the wheel rims when you turn the atv hard to left and right. I will correct this by cutting off about 3/4 of inch from back side of the guard. I e-mailed PRM and told them that it could make someone wreck. If not corrected. I like the protection but, I think PRM needs to recheck their measurements. Have not received a response from them yet. I have also noted on the atv forums of others with problems installing these parts on the Honda Ranchers. If you get the A_ARM guards make sure the back side clears.

Old 08-18-2000, 09:10 PM
BTN
Weekend Warrior

I have been thinking on what to get plastic or alum skid plate for my Rancher 4x4 es and I decided on the ARMORDILLO skid plate from ALL TERRAIN CHARLEYS $85 US that includes shipping. ALUM looks good but it can bend ,deform and noisy, I will take your opinion.

Old 08-20-2000, 07:13 AM
Range Rover

You may want to consider a belly plate from Maier. I don't know if they make one for the Rancher yet, but the one I had on my 450 held up great. It took quite a beating over rocks and logs, and only suffered a couple of small gouges. Either way, you can't beat the protection it gives for only around $50.00. A lot less weight too.

Old 08-20-2000, 03:33 PM
Range Rover

The advantage of the Armordillo is that it wraps up and over the front bash plate thus affording even more protection. I have a Maier on my 450 and it works well. The only problem I've had is that the front of the plate got snagged once and tore away from the two front bolts. Easy fix though.

Temp