Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

A good deal on a 300ex ? -- blown motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2000, 05:56 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a chance to buy a 95 300ex. It supposed to be in well kept condition all but the motor. Apparently the owner bored the engine .005 over (something like that). I’m thinking he decked the head or something, but anyway he had a mix up with gas and ran lower octane fuel than what they had modified the engine for. I don’t know all those details. It sounds like the head has a hole possibly, from a rod or something.
I’m a machinist with a lathe and a small mill. We have done numerous mods to are farm machinery as well as made several different “homemade” farm equipment. I have a 250r and have rebuilt the top end as well some work to the atv. (so I have some experience)
I’m just wondering if someone has some ideas for this atv. I’m kind of guessing the engine has had it. What are some other engines that can possibly be used or that have been used successfully. Or If you have leads on another stock engine (new & used) I could find? I can probably get it for $1000 or possibly less. Is the price a deal or not ? Or what about repair I’m sure its quite involed if the rod is screwed up. I know very little about a 300ex engine ……..so far.

Thank you for any ideas, I’m supposed to see it this Monday and make a deal it, or not .

Old 08-18-2000, 03:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try to get it really really cheap and than take that motor out and drop a 350X motor in!