Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Mobil1 15w50 in extreme cold??

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 02:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobil1 15w50 in extreme cold??

Thanks for that info hondabuster..... that link is quite a read lol!!

So Amsoil 0w40 non-energy conserving synthetic is a safe choice for all-season use then (even with these warnings about "honda does not recommend synthetic oil in auto-clutch atv's"? It stays within the 40 weight max, and the 0 synthetic would most certainly do the trick for those extreme cold days if i needed to fire up "Mr. Plow".

I think the Amsoil 0w40 is my answer.......... just this bit about "no synthetic for auto clutch" is worrying me.
I am just trying to make sure what oil i end up using is safe.

Any other comments?

Old 08-26-2004, 03:20 PM
Pro Rider

I don't own a Honda so I can't comment specifically on the non-synthetic recommendation. I will just say the ALL the oems make "recommendations" that try to push you to buy their own products. Which, of course, none of them actually make. They just have someone make if for them, slap their label on it and charge you three times what it's worth. I've owned Polaris quads, Ski Doo sleds and Honda, Kawi and Yammy bikes (looks like I need to get something Suzuki one of these days,) and I've never used an oem branded lube in any of them.

Old 08-26-2004, 04:53 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trouble with these oil posts, is everybody who never owned that bike and never read the owners manual, pipes in and recommends some off-the-wall oil for it. There are a thousand oils out there, and you know what that means? It just means YOU HAVE A THOUSAND CHANCES TO PICK THE WRONG ONE!

Don't try to be a smart a$$ and out guess the people who designed and built your Rancher, and know more about it than anybody else on the planet ever will! Just use what your owners manual recommends, and you can't go wrong........GN4 10W-40 in summer, and GN4 5W-30 in winter.

Old 08-26-2004, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider

This is from the Honda Owner Link webpage for oil change on a 2001 Rancher ES

"Engine Oil Recommendations
Recommended Oil Viscosity: SAE 10W-40. Other viscosities shown in the accompanying chart may be used when the average temperature in your riding area is within the indicated range.

USE PRO HONDA GN4 4-STROKE OIL OR AN EQUIVALENT
For Canada:
USE HONDA 4-STROKE OIL OR AN EQUIVALENT.
Do not use oils with graphite or molybdenum additives. They may adversely affect clutch operation. Use only high detergent, premium quality motor oil certified to meet API Service Classification SF or SG. Motor oils intended for Service SF or SG will show this designation on the container. The use of special oil additives is unnecessary and will only increase operating expenses.
NOTE:
Engine oil is a major factor affecting the performance and service life of the engine. Nondetergent, vegetable, or castor based racing oils are not recommended."

Doesn't say anything about not using synthetic. Synthetic oils ARE "equivalent" to the Honda oils, they are just better. As long as it is not an "Energy Conserving" (that's where the part about graphite and moly additives comes in) automotive oil and is one designed specifically for recreational engines, it will be fine. And synthetic WILL protect better in cold weather and hot engine temps.

Old 08-26-2004, 09:01 PM
Red Rider

95sport-Peddle your Amsoil in the Polaris forum!

It says HP4 OR EQUIVALENT, well bud, HP4 is DINO OIL! So, ITS EQUIVALENT HAS TO BE DINO OIL TOO!

Note that Honda DOES NOT EVEN RECOMMEND ITS OWN HONDA HP4, which is a SYNTHETIC BLEND! If you read a bottle of HP4, it says "...not recommended for all types of vehicles. Especially vehicles with automatic or centrifugal type clutches." Folks with any sense will make the connection..............synth or even a synth blend, will make your clutch slip!

dragon-I don't really care what oil you want to use. I won't be buying your bike (or any other) used, so it doesn't matter to me. I just don't like to see Polaris owners over here telling Honda owners what is best for their machines!

Old 08-26-2004, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

Did I even mention Amsoil in my post?

This is a direct quote from an oil article that YOU linked to in a previous oil thread:

It's simply not the case that synthetic oils are more "slippery" than conventional oils.
Your tone in that last post is becoming personal and combatative. Sounds like someone realizes they're losing the debate.

Do you work for a Honda dealer? Is that why you're trying to push Honda oil? ALL THE OEMS WANT YOU TO BUY THEIR STUFF. THEY MAKE MONEY THAT WAY! It has nothing to do with it being "better" stuff.

Old 08-26-2004, 10:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

gee sorry guys for getting everyone on the offensive..... i certainly didn't intend for this to become a heated debate. I just wanted some sound advice from people who have had experience using different oils in their machines.

From what i can gather, there are 2 opinions on this:
a)be completely safe and follow the honda specs and use recommended honda oils guaranteed to work in my honda
b)disregard the honda recommendations and use an equally good (or arguably better) synthetic which meets all specifications for atvs.

Upon checking the specs, the AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke Synthetic Motor Oil:

a)API SJ, SH, SG, SF, CD, CF-- meeting the honda requirement

b)Use in Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, Mercury, Kawasaki, Arctic Cat, Polaris, Nissan and Bombardier motors and transmissions.

c)Recommended for manual or automatic clutches.

d)AMSOIL AFF 0W-40 is not automotive oil-- It is specifically formulated for use in small, hard working 4-stroke engines. AFF is ideal for 4-cycle snowmobiles, ATV's, etc.

e)Friction modifier free--"The friction modifier free formulation of AMSOIL 4-Stroke ensures transmission (manual or automatic) and clutch compatibility and prevents slip"

f)excellent cold weather starting and quick post-startup protection.

g)Non-energy conserving---- so no worries about moly or graphite right?

Here's the link:
http://www.amsoil.com/products/aff.html

Judging from these specs.... it appears Honda's own OEM oil is probably inferior to this stuff. Just because it's Honda oil doesn't mean it's magic and that there's not stuff better...................it just doesn't have is the Honda seal of approval which it will never get because Honda only endorses their own oil.

Again sorry for causing the debate..... one thing i did learn is that it will always seemingly come down to personal opinion.

Old 08-27-2004, 12:04 AM
Red Rider

Get back to us in a year, and let us know how it went!

In case you haven't seen these yet:

http://www.thumperfaq.com/oil.htm

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html#Oil

Your profile says you are in the US, but you said you are in Canada. Where? I am originally from BC. Lived in Alaska and West Virginia also.

Old 08-27-2004, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider

I use 15-50 Mobil 1 in my Warrior without troubles in cold weather. Mind you we don't get down to -30°C (maybe down to -15 or -20) often where I live, and if we did I doubt I'd be out on my Warrior in it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] LOL.

the problem with some synthetics as I'm sure someone pointed out is if it has Friction Modifiers .. that's a bad thing for clutches. I don't know why they make these things with the oil all in one anyway .. but oh well .. it is what it is....

Old 08-27-2004, 01:02 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The reason Honda doesnt recommend their synthetic for wet clutches, isnt because its synthetic. Its because there is moly in it.
My original advice still works,...If its rated sg, and there isnt a star burst symbol, regular or synthetic, and its the proper weight, use it.
I use 10w 30, in the winter, and this is what honda recommends ( its Yamalube, 10w 30, sg oil is hard to find).
Atv motors, and their trannys, use the same oil, so both the crank and the tranny gears, are lubed by the same stuff. Thats why they ask for sg oil, but no newer( such as sl oil). The older oil, like sg and sf, contain better extreme pressure lubes, such as sulfur,and phosphorus, and newer oils dont have these chemicals, in enough strength, for gears that mesh.
Honda is not in the business of distilling oil, they have someone else make it for them and put their label on it. Like Sears has Whirlpool make the Kenmore stuff for them. So thats why they ask for sg oil, because it has the correct chemicals for the motors, doesnt matter who distilled it, or who put the lable on, all you care about is sg and no star burst symbol, and correct weight for the temperature.

Quick Reply: Mobil1 15w50 in extreme cold??