Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

honda 450r broken frame- not happy

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default honda 450r broken frame- not happy

thanx, i went by a honda dealership and they recommended that i use the HP4 without Moly for both tranny and engine. that crap is expensive! the maximum 4 was like 4 bucks a liter, they charged me 7.50 for the HP4. and i think the $10 for an oil filter was a bit steep as well. i got one from a dif. dealer in san luis for $4.

reconranger: i changed the oil after 20 hours (like the ownder's manual said). i recently changed the oil in our 300ex and 250ex and took a look at my window and saw that the oil was blacker than the 300 and the 250. both of those bikes had about 100 hrs on them before this last oil change. i really don't like the sound of changing my oil every 20 hours or so. that's gonna get expensive real quick, especially at $35 per oil change.

Old 09-01-2004, 03:11 PM
KGB
Pro Rider

Cro ,
Don't take this the wrong way.....
the 450R is not your fathers 300ex, it is going to require more frequent oil changes, more frequent top end changes, ect. I change both fluids after every other ride, I use GN4 and HP Trans oil.
What will get expensive is if you don't change the oil very much.

Old 09-01-2004, 03:17 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

KGB is right, the more high perfermance bike u have, the more maintnance. Try buying aftermarkit oil filters from catalogs, like EMGO, much much cheaper. From the dealer my Z filter was 10 bucks, from rockymountain it was like 2.70 something or another.

Old 09-01-2004, 08:33 PM
Pro Rider

thanx, and KGB, its my mom's 300ex. my dad can't handle riding a quad. using a clutch requires too much brain power. lol, don't worry about it. will the HP4 without Moly be bad for the engine? or is the HP4M just a better oil? i wanna know if it will cause harm to use the HP4 without Moly on both engine and tranny before i put any of it in. thanx again for all the help.

Old 09-01-2004, 09:15 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KGB-Just wondering why you would pick GN4 (dino oil) over something like HP4M (synth blend with moly), for you motor???

Old 09-01-2004, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: CroBiker
thanx, and KGB, its my mom's 300ex. my dad can't handle riding a quad. using a clutch requires too much brain power. lol, don't worry about it. will the HP4 without Moly be bad for the engine? or is the HP4M just a better oil? i wanna know if it will cause harm to use the HP4 without Moly on both engine and tranny before i put any of it in. thanx again for all the help.
I use HP4 without moly in both the engine and tranny due to the fact that it's hard to find HP4M around here unless I drive 80+ miles to get it..... That's something I WILL NOT do everytime I change oil plus I change oil very often. HP4 without moly is very good oil reccommended for high performance machines....... It better be good for $7+ a quart. I read on Thumpertalk.com that the crf450 and trx450 oil filters only need to be changed after every 5 oil changes. I think that's a little steep so I will change mine after every 2-3 oil changes and clean the oil filter with gas after every oil change..... Make sure you blow the gas out of the filter before putting it back in with an air compressor.

Also, keep ALL of your resciepts whenever you buy oil for your quad in case warrenty work needs to be done to the engine. makes things a lot easier when they try to get out of warrentying anything for excusing it on "rider error" or "improper oil" or whatever they would like to come up with. Better safe than sorry having proof.

Old 09-02-2004, 10:09 AM
Red Rider

cro-The moly in HP4M is going to make the oil slicker. Note that HP4 is a JASO MA oil, and HP4M is a JASO MB oil (these two oils are in completely different classes!), so you know the stuff with moly is way slicker! And, they are the same price (at least around here), so you might as well get the slicker stuff! Should slightly improve your mileage and performance.

And, I would suggest you give HP Trans Oil a try in the transmission, rather than HP4. This is what 250R and 2-stroke dirt bikers have been using for years.

punishin-Try mail order somewhere for some HP4M. But it's heavy, and it will cost to ship it.

Old 09-02-2004, 02:47 PM
KGB
Pro Rider

Recon,
The reason I run GN4 is because I always have run it, and most HP shops I have talked to say to use it. I am a believer in the fact that if you are consistant with the type of oil you use, and are consistant in changing it, you will have a good running and long running engine.
Cro, that was just a figure of speach...this ain't your daddy's Oldsmobile.....

Old 09-02-2004, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider

lol, i know. i jus think that a "mom's" quad sounds a lil more wussy. so recon, r u sayin that ne 2-stroke trans oil would work? since the trans oil doesn't mix with the engine oil?

Old 09-03-2004, 12:33 AM
Red Rider

cro-If you look at your owners manual, it recommends either HP Trans Oil, HP4 (without moly), or GN4. Of the 3, I prefer Trans Oil especially here in So. Calif. where it is hot (it's 80W/85W and it comes in a round, red bottle with a pouring spout). My second choice would be HP4.

Give HP4M (with moly) a try in your engine!

Quick Reply: honda 450r broken frame- not happy