Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rubicon VS SP500 VS Rancher

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2000, 06:31 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here we go again. Comparing the brands. Me a friend and my father headed out to a tundra trail that has some of the worst mud and sink holes we know of up here. We put the Stock wheels (and tires)back on the Ruby so that the two big bores where equal. However we left the 1'1/2 lift kit on the Rancher. It would need all the help it could get. The Sp500 was also stock.
To start the Rubicon would go first and then the Sp500 and the Rancher. The trail is strictly a ATV trail threw the tundra, so everyone had to take the same trail and line. On the way in 22 some miles the Rubicon had got stuck once the Polaris 2 times and the Rancher a hand full. We talked a bit, had some pop and headed back. Same riders on each bike but different order. The SP500 went first with the Rubicon following and the Rancher last(due to not doing as well and the only one other than the Polaris to have a winch). We headed out and the Polaris got stuck 1. The Rubicon got stuck 1. and the Rancher 3 times.
Now when done switched bikes and did it all again. Results SP500 3times, Rubicon 5times, and Rancher to many to count.

After a long day of pulling and tugging all of them out, we decided we had found a winner in the contest of all contests. TO finally decide for atleast that moment the best ATV for the day. The winner in our opinion due to it's tranny, due to it's ability not to dig to quickly. IT's ability to stay turning all four wheels no matter what. To it's ability to be light when stuck and easiest to get out. The winner is!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We had a heck of a fun weekend, hope you ALL did to.

Check out some of the pics at:
http://communities.msn.com/TokAlaskaAtvTours

Old 08-22-2000, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider

Great post. It gets tiring reading the same old my quad is better than your quad.

When our club goes on a ride, we don't stand around and bash each others ride. We just go out & have some fun, thats what it is all about, not the machines but the people riding them.

Old 08-22-2000, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider

WEASIE
Great one!!!!Why is it so hard for people to relize what you just said,at the end of the day everyone had great time.Who cares who got stuck so many times,I just figured I made the machine do over it's capacity or "heaven for bid",the rider made a error.Understand it has never happened but it may some day.One misjudgement on the riders part can make the diff whether the machine makes it or it don't.I'm very happy with my 500SP and I'm the only one that counts,as far as that goes.CM

Old 08-22-2000, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider

Chickenman: Make no mistake about it. I would of been happy with a SP500 or a Traxter. I'll however be the first to admit I am Loyal Honda to the bone. This doesn't make me blind though. I drove (have driven SP500's before this also) the Sp500 this weekend in some of the worst tundra we have up here. It performed awsome. To be honest it does pull harder than my Rancher or Rubicon in the MUD. Anyone with a brain knows why. However it's weight can be good and bad for it in the tundra also. It is a bit more unstable due to sitting higher and heavier in the sink holes and such. Heck there was places the Rancher did better than both. I guess the point is i like all ATV's and believe me i wish Honda had a different front end sometimes. But I am not complaining to much because the AP does much better than the old ones bar none. People can argue until their blue, but i didn't see the SP owner jumping off the Honda's and saying they sucked compared to the SP. We all are smart enough to see the advantages and disadvantages of each other quad. To be honest, I'm just happy to still be riding. (I am having summer withdrawl if no one has noticed). Winter is coming and a winter full of Mods, and repairs are awaiting to both of them. That means I'll have to break out the Polaris after all. Snowmobiling time!!!!!

Old 08-22-2000, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider

WEASIE
You bet got my eye on the new 800 with the 151 track!!!!!CM

Old 08-22-2000, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider

Me too!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-22-2000, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider

Cobb-what about the new Honda snowmobile?

Old 08-22-2000, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider

What honda snowmobile?

Old 08-22-2000, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

gettin stuck an pulled out is part of the fun!!!! i like pullin, pushin, and being pulled and pushed outta holes...there is nothing more enjoyable than atving........eccept for, you know

Old 08-23-2000, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

OK DOC
I'll bite what Hondu Snowmobile?CM

Quick Reply: Rubicon VS SP500 VS Rancher