Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

recon fuel problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 02:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default recon fuel problems

i noticed mine would run cruddy when low on fuel. i cleaned the tank out, and there was 2-3 tablespoons of water in there. perhaps on steep stuff, the water is getting sucked in thru your petcock tubes, due to the angle change??? clean out tank and see. it's always good maintenance too. haven't had a problem with mine since.

Old 04-16-2005, 04:12 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same thing happened on my 2001

Old 04-16-2005, 04:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

damn the quote didnt go through, i had mud in my carb, same result as mustang

Old 04-17-2005, 01:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: hondabuster
If its just sitting there, idleing in nuetral, and you raise up the front end, will it die? Will it do that every time?How high off of a level surface does the front tires need to go, for it to die?
Did you try removing the baffle at the bottom of the main jet ? Is the float level correct? Is there a bunch of crud in the float bowl?
In the other thread, gimpster said he fixed one by replacing the stator. This may be a long shot..but if the bike will die everytime you raise the front end due to the stator, you should be able to verify this with an ohmeter. If it does die when raising the front end, then ohm check the windings of the stator, both when its level, and when its raised, and see if the readings are different.
Yeah, if you raise up the front end while its just sitting there it will die, but if you are on a steep hill it wont die until you let off the gas, if i stay constantly on the gas without backing off at all it wont die. the front tires need to be proabably around a 45^ or greater angle for it to die. If you bring the front end up to wheelie and set it right back down it will die right then unless you stay on the gas. I dont think I have tried removing the baffle, I will give that a shot. My float level is correct, my float bowl is clean as a whistle. I still dont know what the stator is..

Old 04-17-2005, 01:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: confusedbuyer
i noticed mine would run cruddy when low on fuel. i cleaned the tank out, and there was 2-3 tablespoons of water in there. perhaps on steep stuff, the water is getting sucked in thru your petcock tubes, due to the angle change??? clean out tank and see. it's always good maintenance too. haven't had a problem with mine since.

I drained my gas tank before, i dont know if anything was left inside or not though b/c its kinda hard to look in there, but i drained all the gas out and made sure the lines were not clogged. I dont know if maybe something stayed inside and its getting sucked into the opening of the petcock tubes when the angle changes. I know that after the four wheeler dies, it will not crank right back up. It has to sit for maybe 15-20 seconds and then will crank right up.

Old 04-17-2005, 01:49 AM
Elite Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: Lance3187

Yeah, if you raise up the front end while its just sitting there it will die, but if you are on a steep hill it wont die until you let off the gas, if i stay constantly on the gas without backing off at all it wont die. the front tires need to be proabably around a 45^ or greater angle for it to die. If you bring the front end up to wheelie and set it right back down it will die right then unless you stay on the gas. I dont think I have tried removing the baffle, I will give that a shot. My float level is correct, my float bowl is clean as a whistle. I still dont know what the stator is..
The stator is the alternator, and its most likely ok, because it doesnt care what throttle positions youre at. Youve done a good job of trouble shooting the problem yourself. Now that we know its the idle circuit that causes the problem. Does it have the original pilot jet still in it...or is it a replacement? My thoughts are its still the float level. If you look inside the carb, with the float bowl removed, youll see the pilot jet is very short , and close to the venturi. The main, which the main and needle circuits draw fuel thru, are further down inside the float bowl...well into the pool of gas. When you tip the quad back, the main will still stay in the fuel but the pilot will uncover first.
Im thinking either the pilot jet isnt an original, or is partially plugged, or the float setting is too low. Id examine the pilot jet, and run a very fine wire thru it, to ensure whatever deposits are there will get pushed out. If youre in doubt , about cleaning the pilot , maybe just buy a new one...they are about 8 bucks. If that doesnt do it, then raise the float, a bit at a time.
Im convinced its a carb problem.

Old 04-17-2005, 06:36 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Recons are unusually sensitive to fuel contamination. The idle jet gets clogged very easily. Clean your tank and carb.

Old 04-17-2005, 10:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

[quote]
Originally posted by: Lance3187

The stator is the alternator, and its most likely ok, because it doesnt care what throttle positions youre at. Youve done a good job of trouble shooting the problem yourself. Now that we know its the idle circuit that causes the problem. Does it have the original pilot jet still in it...or is it a replacement? My thoughts are its still the float level. If you look inside the carb, with the float bowl removed, youll see the pilot jet is very short , and close to the venturi. The main, which the main and needle circuits draw fuel thru, are further down inside the float bowl...well into the pool of gas. When you tip the quad back, the main will still stay in the fuel but the pilot will uncover first.
Im thinking either the pilot jet isnt an original, or is partially plugged, or the float setting is too low. Id examine the pilot jet, and run a very fine wire thru it, to ensure whatever deposits are there will get pushed out. If youre in doubt , about cleaning the pilot , maybe just buy a new one...they are about 8 bucks. If that doesnt do it, then raise the float, a bit at a time.
Im convinced its a carb problem.
I previously cleaned out my pilot jet,which is an original, ran the wire through it and soaked it in some cleaner and it didnt work. I've looked at the float but I dont see any types of adjustments that i could possibly make. It seems fixed to one position to me. A guy told me that when I flip the carb upside down the float should be sitting level, and it is. He also said that the plastic there was bendable to make adjustments but I tried to bend it a little and it just goes right back to where it was.
I will try pulling the pilot jet out a second time to examine it but i am positive there is nothing clogged in it.

Old 04-17-2005, 10:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: reconranger
Recons are unusually sensitive to fuel contamination. The idle jet gets clogged very easily. Clean your tank and carb.

Yeah, I have already completely drained the tank, flushed out the fuel lines, made sure they were not clogged. Had the carb. apart and cleaned it all out too. Has to be something in that carburator Im missing. I dont understand why it would be the float level, I wouldnt think that the level could mess up without being inside to carburator to actually move it. The problem happened with the carburator never being apart.

Old 04-17-2005, 02:20 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The float level can be mis adjusted right from the factory. Grizzlys are famous for this, do a search and youll see what i mean. There should be a small area by the needle and seat, which is brass, and thats the part that bends, to adjust float level. It doesnt take much bending to make a difference.
Pilot jets are always forward of the main jet, and higher up in the float bowl. As the quad tips back, on to the rear tires, the first areas to be uncovered, will be the starter jet and the pilot jet. Ill bet if you raise the rear of the quad, with the motor running and in nuetral, the motor wont stop, because the gas in the float bowl will move forward, and keep the pilot jet covered in gas. If its posible, do that and let us know what happens.
Theres an alternative way to check the float level, using a clear rubber hose , connected to the float bowl drain. Hook up the hose, open the drain, and hold the open end of the hose higher than the mid line of the carb( to keep the gas from flowing out). The fuel level will settle down and show where the gas is in the float bowl, and it should be right around the split line, between the float bowl and the carb body. Gas valve to pri,or on, and motor off.

Quick Reply: recon fuel problems