Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda Rubicon (general)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2000, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gaboon, that could be true. I know the Rubicon is quick on acceleration. I would say it's one of the fastest stock quad for off the line takeoff. This includes sport quads. It was in Dirtwheels magazine, and their website is www.dirtwheelsmag.com

Old 10-03-2000, 09:51 AM
Range Rover

The website for Outdoor South is http://www.outdoorsouthinc.com/. You can buy their stuff through www.atvgear.com, although after ordering one of their winch mounts, I wouldn't recommend it. Frankly, it looks like a Jr. High shop project. Very unprofessional job. Go with a Warn mount. HL is an abbreviation for Highlifter.

Old 10-03-2000, 06:58 PM
rjs
Weekend Warrior

just out looking at a new rubicon. looks like most things are well though out. ? for you that own, front Drum brakes? any problems? oil filter? who can reach it? mec rear drums? problems?

Old 10-03-2000, 07:12 PM
Range Rover

try D.G

Old 10-03-2000, 07:47 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Rubeman:

Where is the best place to buy a Warn wench and mount? And what is Highlifter?
Thanks

Old 10-03-2000, 08:33 PM
Pro Rider

I have not had any problems with drum brakes on either of my quads. They stop me when I am in need. I still cant understand why people hate them. I have never had a drop of water in them. The oil filter on the other hand....dont get me started. Changing the oil is a big task compared to the rancher. There are TWO drain plugs. The filter is changed from under the quad. You have to remove a skid plate... And it takes 5.2 quarts of oil. I had a really bad time and I think it will be much easier next time. I did dumb things like dropping both drain plugs INTO the HOT oil. Then I had to go fishing for them. Argh. All in all if the oil changing is the only slightly difficult thing to do then this is a great machine.

Old 10-03-2000, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Texmud, I totally agree with you. Changing the oil on the Ruby is a definite pain. I had the same problems you had, which are dropping the drain plug in the oil, but I had a long pan so I didn't have to dip my hand in real far to fish it out. There were lots of filings in the oil. One thing that's easier is putting the new oil filter back in, gravity doesn't work against you, it helps since the oil filter gets put in straight up and down. Getting the skidplate off was a pain also. Honda had the bolts torques so friggin tight that one twisted off. The others unscrewed however. We'll let the dealer take care of that bolt. Also, in adding the oil, don't add the 5.2 quarts all at once. Put in like 4 quarts and then start the machine up to pump the filter and all that full. Otherwise if you put in the full amount in the oil tank, it will overfill and come out the top. This happened to me. Next oil change will go much much better now that I know how to do it.

For all Rubicon owners: do the front fender extensions underneath the floorboards annoy any of you guys? Many times they scrape on obstacles and make weird noises.

Old 10-03-2000, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider

If you are talking about the floorboard supports then yes. I will be buying the HL kit to fix them. They rub my tires.

Old 10-03-2000, 10:49 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Rooster
Yeah---I noticed those weird noises this weekend riding through some wooded trails. I think its weird that you get two different readings on the oil level when its cold vs. warm. Whats up with that? I'm not looking forward to my first oil change now.

Old 10-04-2000, 02:16 AM
Pro Rider

Tex, I'm talking about the fender extensions that follow the front fender down past the floorboard. They hit a lot of obstacles. When I ride through the woods it hits lots of stumps and just flexes until it's over the obstacle.

Quick Reply: Honda Rubicon (general)