Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

After break in period and PIPE

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 01:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After break in period and PIPE

Alright, I know this has probably been asked a few times and I did the searches already but here goes.

My 05 450R has been through two weekends at the dunes and a couple hours of leisure riding. Is it worth getting the valves adjusted or anything? It seems to make a clattering sound in the lower RPMs right before it would probably stall. Is this normal? From the couple of 450Rs i have been around, it is.

My second question and probably the more important one is about a new exhaust system. I am going for a full exhaust, filter, and jets. Is K&N the best or should I use something else. I have seen, rode, and heard a fatboy4 system and was really impressed with it. I am considering that one, and the ESR full system, YOSHI, or maybe LRD. Sounds is an issue. I DONT want the loudest pipe, and it must sound good too. Tell me what you guys think, and what are some good deals that you have recieved and from who. I know the new White Brothers pipes are pretty good too, but the E2s or whatever they are the stupidiest looking pipes I have ever seen.

Lets hear what everyone thinks.

-Fatboy4
-ESR
-Yoshi
-LRD
-other

Old 09-14-2004, 02:01 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an FMF Factory 4 full exhaust system (with quiet core), UNI two-stage foam air filter, and well ventilated airbox lid (http://www.ehsracing.com/), plus the HRC cam. I am really liking this!!! The exhaust has a throaty tone, but still isn't real loud. Power is great, with lots in the mid and high end.

I have run K&N's for many years on most of my bikes, with no problems, but I am now going back to foam. I am really impressed with the UNI foam filters! It has a non-restrictive cage inside supporting it (you can throw that lousy, restrictive stock one away), and flows air very well. It doesn't flow as well as a K&N, but obviously gives a better margin of protection.

Change your oil often! I always do a valve adjustment at 20 hrs., on any new bike.

Old 09-14-2004, 12:06 PM
Pro Rider

"but the E2s or whatever they are the stupidiest looking pipes I have ever seen"

Why?

Old 09-15-2004, 12:40 AM
Pro Rider

Could have swore I replied to this already, but any who......

Im just not too fond of the E2 (the grey muffler right??). I am just not sold on the White Bros pipes yet. The more I think about the more I will probably go either the ESR or the Yoshi pipe, depending on who makes the better deal. Has anybody had any experience with either of these pipes. I saw the ESR this past weekend, but I wasnt paying a whole lot of attention.

How come Lancester and reconranger you guys dont have any pics up on here??

Old 09-15-2004, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider

I would worry about getting the HRC cam first. From what I read on the Rossier Engineering web site, a pipe isn't gonna help a whole lot unless you get a decent cam to go along with it. They pretty much said the stock cam is very mild and the HRC cam helps LOTS, especially with a pipe.

38 HP stock

42.5 HP Rossier Engineering full pipe, open air lid, air filter, re jetted.

47 HP HRC cam along with up above...

These are real world HP #'s too, so don't choose a pipe on big HP claims because they are just a bunch of BS.

The point: 9HP increase with the above mods. And if you're on a budget, get the cam before the pipe.

Old 09-15-2004, 09:17 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: td250r
Could have swore I replied to this already, but any who......

Im just not too fond of the E2 (the grey muffler right??). I am just not sold on the White Bros pipes yet. The more I think about the more I will probably go either the ESR or the Yoshi pipe, depending on who makes the better deal. Has anybody had any experience with either of these pipes. I saw the ESR this past weekend, but I wasnt paying a whole lot of attention.

How come Lancester and reconranger you guys dont have any pics up on here??

Broken digital camera and Laziness I guess. I need to do so. My quad looks stock, but runs MUCH better. I suggest the mods I've done to ANYONE buying a TRX. This the way it should come stock.....

Old 09-18-2004, 06:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

this is a little off topic to reconranger does the name come from bat? I can be contacted at 2rgrbn@ earthlink .net I apoligize for breaking topic fellas but I don't come accross many fellow hooahs so I have to ask.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]