Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

IndependantRearSusp. ????

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2000, 05:19 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im thinking that soon they will be building more quads with full independant suspension(because of the article on the front page of atvconnection) and soon the straight axle will become extinct. They will build The parts light enough to have bikes that are under 400lbs. and smoke the straight axle out of the corner. Think how good Jumping would be. Softer landings,etc. Give it 5-10 yrs and HYTECH industries will take over the market.

Old 08-25-2000, 10:13 PM
Range Rover

I believe polaris already has IRS on some of its quads and gets very favorable ratings on handling.Imagine it on a sport quad with good shocks instead of a utility model.One only has to look at the automotive world to see that Independent suspension all around is the premier setup.I am guesing probably 5-10 yrs before a major manufacturer comes out with one.Sooner would be nice.

Old 08-26-2000, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider

I don't think IRS is right for sport quads. IRS would introduce horrible body-roll in turns, lots more tip-overs, and make it harder to power-slide through corners. Also, no matter how light-weight they make it, it's impossible for it to be as light as a straight-axle. It would also significantly increase the cost of the quad (one more shock, lots more suspention parts). IRS would be a good thing on 4x4 quads, where you don't do much high-speed cornering, and you go over very rough terrain, but it's just not for racing.

Old 08-26-2000, 02:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

uhhhhh IRS on a sports quad? hmmmmm im thinking that most likely it will probably, hardly ever, NEVER happen. Why?? you own a 440EX right?? well uhhhhh do you think you are going to have good cornering at all with IRS?? uh no, handling is the number one concern along with wieght, no way will a GOOD bike have IRS on the track...

Old 08-26-2000, 06:24 PM
Pro Rider
Old 08-27-2000, 02:17 AM
Pro Rider

Well no wonder it handled well, it's FIVE INCHES wider than stock, and they did a bunch of work to lower the center of gravity on the chassis, as well as lowered the riding height!!! I'll bet if you took a straight-axle ATV with similar dimensions, it would out-handle the IRS that guy made. Plus, how much weight was added to the rear of that thing?!?

Oh, and if you are having trouble keeping both of your power tires on the ground on your primitive straight-axle ATV, simply shift your weight back. I personally only have problems keeping the steering tires on the ground.

Old 08-27-2000, 02:51 AM
Pro Rider

I think its a good idea, and I think once its light enough and cheap enough to produce you will see a lot of them. I think it will be like the 2 stroke 4 stroke arguement. it will just be what you like best.

Old 08-27-2000, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider

I am looking at it from a maintainance standpoint and am thinking No Way. Just think about your alignment problems. CV joints are pretty trouble free, but if you start taking your machine into the rough stuff, you will tear up boots pretty quick. Also lots of extra weight. Really, look at what these pro riders are doing with the primative solid axle setup. I don't see much performance to be gained, but you never know.

Old 08-29-2000, 03:43 PM
Pro Rider

You know, nothing cracks me up more than somebody who knows everything. I guess motorhead would have predicted in '85 that Polaris would be where it is today. From now on, nobody ask questions to anybody but motorhead. Apparently, he knows the answer to all questions. It looks like the guys with the IRS sport quad don't know anything. Sure great having motorhead around, don't you think guys? Thanks motorhead!!!!!
Seriously, looks like your motorhead is way overdue for a rebuild, but since you know everything, I guess you know that too!! As far as handling goes, some of the best performing sports cars (they handle the curves pretty good is what I hear) have IRS, don't they?? That must be a glitch, huh? Guess the manufacturers should have asked motorhead before they put something like that into production. Obviously, they're just a flop waiting to happen. Later, motorboy!!!!!

Old 08-29-2000, 07:11 PM
Pro Rider

I'm sorry, maybe I didn't read your post right, but were you trying to say that Polaris makes a sport quad??? PFFT, YEAH RIGHT!! Good one! Haha, I'll be laughing about that for weeks.

Seriously though, Sports Cars and quads are to different animals completely. A sports car's center of gravity is VERY low, in comparison to the length and width of it's stance, making body roll in cornering much easier to control. On the other hand, an ATV has a very high center of gravity, which makes them much more tippy, and so it would be almost impossible to eliminate body roll on a IRS quad. Tell me, how often have you taken a corner on your quad too fast and nearly tipped it? I know it happens to me all the time. Now, when's the last time you saw a Ferrari tip over on it's side? Never? Hmmm.

BTW, it's about damn time someone figured out that I know everything... I'm glad you pointed it out to everyone else, since I am much too modest to say it myself. :P