Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

HRC kit and aftermarket exhaust? (power difference? void warranty?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HRC kit and aftermarket exhaust? (power difference? void warranty?)

im looking at possibly getting a 450r. If i do get one i will buy the largest warranty honda sells (i made a BIG mistake when i bought my 03 ds 650 i didnt buy the extended warranty, and after the 6 months my quad turned into a lemon!)

what mods void the warranty? if the dealer installs stuff will it still void? (lets say the hrc kit?)

is the hrc kit good if you are going to switch out the pipe? (i would want somthing a bit lighter, good sounding with great power throughout...probably a full system.) or would it be better to buy a pipe and cam sep? (leave airbox lid alone? or take off? then just buy jets sep?)

if/when i get a new quad and get a warranty i will probably have the dealer to most everything if the warranty is in question (im sure i could put the pipe on...as sometimes it takes some time, but have the dealer jet it and do the cam)

what kind of power can be had with the hrc kit and an aftermarket exhaust?

what type of grind is the hrc cam? (low/mid/top or a combination of two?) i would probably want a midrange cam (no sacrifice on top, but help on bottom would be good)

let me know what you guys think
Thanks

Old 09-20-2004, 12:13 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HRC kit and aftermarket exhaust? (power difference? void warranty?)

I bought my bike with the HRC kit installed (no warranty issues), so I can't give you a seat-of-the-pants comparison, but if you look at the dynos, the kit makes a very big difference! Most of the gain is in the middle to top end, but this engine has lots of low end to begin with, so who cares. But, it is geared tall (otherwise you would be doing wheelies in 1st gear), so you have to rev it out. The engine does its best work at higher rpm anyway, so in the slow technical stuff, you will have to do some clutch slipping (an autoclutch would eliminate this).

I have an FMF Factory 4 full exhaust system (with quiet core), vented airbox lid (http://www.ehsracing.com/), and UNI filter. The bike goes faster than I ever need to!