Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400ex vs banshee

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2000, 04:25 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do mostly trail riding and hillclimbing and some mudden. Which one would be best for me. I'd like to get the banshee because of its 2-stroke engine and light switch power band but I don't know. How much better does the 400ex handle than the banshee. And how much low end does the banshee really have? The magazines always say they have no low end. I might also start racing cross country or woods racing. Which would be the best????

Thanks to all replys

Old 08-28-2000, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider

400EX

Old 08-28-2000, 05:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had a couple of banshees ride with me and we went through a small stream but when I looked back they where stuck... So I do know that my 400 goes in mud better than a banshee.

Old 08-28-2000, 05:17 PM
Pro Rider

If you are gonna do ANY woods raceing or MXing or XCing get the EX. I have watched several MX style races and the Banshee is normally a HORRIBLE performer. On the other hand, in the proper hands a Banshee will do quite well on these type races. But in normal hands the EX will smoke a Banshee on a track and in the woods.

Banshees axcel in open country and in the dunes. An EX is out of it's element in this type of terain.

just my $.02

I'm waitin to see what the other manufacturers bring to the table before i make a sport/high pro purchase. Im especaially waiting for Suzuki. I think they are gonna put the DRZ400 motor in a racing quad frame. That will be a VERY NICE quad

Old 08-28-2000, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider

400ex for sure I used to beat Banshees in the woods on my Warrior , in its element the
Banshee has no competition but woods riding is not one of them.

Old 08-28-2000, 06:19 PM
Range Rover

I would say, that the best all-round machine, is the 400EX. Then again I have a Banshee, and I ride woods all the time and I love it. It does lack a little in the low end, but with a little clutch work you can still have alot of fun in the woods. I don't think that you can go wrong with either machine.

Old 08-28-2000, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider

With a lot of money invested you can have a Banshee motor produce some decent bottom-end. This is, of course, at the expense of the top-end speed. The thing is, how often are you really tapping out 5th and 6th gear? If you're mostly trail riding, the 400EX. If you're riding ability is really up to it, you can take a Banshee whereever you want, but for trails and muddin', the EX is much easier to ride.

Old 08-28-2000, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you ever heard the phrase "If you have to ask, then it's too much"? That applies to the Banshee. If you don't know what it's like to ride a 40 hp quad with the powerband of a 125 mx bike, then you would be better off not getting it.

Old 08-28-2000, 08:59 PM
Trailblazer

Had two Banshees. I had a set of pipes on one and there is no way any four stroke could hang with it (flat out). Now the stock bike ran good, but nothing like the one with the pipes. It would leave two black marks on pavement going into 6th gear. Granted, very bottom end wasn't really good, but this thing had so much power it was unreal. However, as the guy said before, if your hung in the mud, it might not do as well. But as far as woods riding, if you've got the ***** to stay in it, Quadzilla wouldn't keep up.

Old 08-29-2000, 09:40 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I think 400ex is a better trail machine primarily because of the torquey motor. The suspension of the Banshee is better for low speed riding since the shocks are a little softer, but for high speed riding the 400ex boingers are better. Neither one is worth a $$it when it comes to muddin'. What do you expect with around 4 to 5 inches of rear clearance where the power is put to the ground? The Banshee has a little more engine vibration and the 400ex seat is rock hard. Both are good climbers. For trail obstacles, the 400ex easily lofts the front end and the Banshee has a tough time getting the front end up easily. The Banshee is more stable at speed and does'nt want to "2-wheel" as much as the 400ex. If you can...ride 'em both before buying. Hope this helps!

Quick Reply: 400ex vs banshee