Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher Tires size help

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2000, 10:31 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know the gear ratio for the front and rear on the Honda Rancher? I am looking at tires for my Rancher but I have noticed that with the 12" front and 11" rear wheels that after market tires seem to have different diameters for the same size Tire based on wheel size an example Would be:

Mud Runners overall diameter (per mfg spec)
25x10x11 24.4 in

25x8x12 25.0 in

I know this is not much difference but does this match the gear ratio for the Rancher And Is there a difference in the gear ratio from front to back? From reading past post I see Some guys say just under inflate the larger tire or some quick fix like that but I would Like to know the right way to convert to larger tires. I have also seen where some people Have changed to the 12" wheels on the rear this has the opposite affect from above if you Change to 12" on the rear as in the example below this reverses the higher / lower diameter

Mud Runners overall diameter
25x10x12 25.3 in

25x8x12 25.0 in

Has anyone looked into this? I have seen similar situations on other tire manufactures
as well. is there an industry standard?

Old 08-28-2000, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

Where did you get these numbers? I would suggest you switch to 12x7 wheels for front and rear so that in the future you will have many tires to choose from. As far as the tires being slightly off, I would venture to guess the stock tires are that way too. All the tire measurements will vary slightly. I dont think that little difference should matter too much. Once mounted, no matter what diameter they were before, they will not match due to different weight in front and rear. As long as you stick to the same manufacturer measurements you should be fine. I think this is an issue on quads like the 300 because they come with different size tires. As far as an industry standard the answer is no. Every manufacturer will measure their tires differently.

Old 08-28-2000, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider

Madmax: There is a several companies that make tires to fit your rims. Vampire makes a 25" or a 24" tire that fits the 11" and the 12"rim and has the same width. Go to highlifer.com and check out the other tires. There are several that will fit the stock rancher rims. IF not the kind you like buy 12"front and rear rims. FIXES all the problems. SCOTT

Old 08-28-2000, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

Madmax: There is a several companies that make tires to fit your rims. Vampire makes a 25" or a 24" tire that fits the 11" and the 12"rim and has the same width. Go to highlifer.com and check out the other tires. There are several that will fit the stock rancher rims. IF not the kind you like buy 12"front and rear rims. FIXES all the problems. SCOTT

(what would you need rear end and front end Ratios for? If you look closely the tire size on your Rancher is a 24" on both front and rear. Ratios are not effected as long as the TIRE DIAMETER is the same, Example: 24x10012 or a 24x10x11.)

Old 08-30-2000, 12:15 AM
Trailblazer

After doing a little more research I found the ratios are different. The fronts are 3.769 and the rears are 3.692 so I assume from this that the rear tires should be slightly smaller then the front tires anyone with more input? Anyone good with ratios and can figure what the tire size difference should be from my calculations the above example size difference should be about right.

also I would gather that changing to 12" wheels in the rear and having tires the same size is not a good idea

what do you guys think am I wrong???

Oh and I got the tire info from goodyears website
and found the ratios in the manual (you know when all else fails look in the manual)

Old 08-30-2000, 12:44 AM
Trailblazer

I bought a set of tires from "Tires Unlimited". They are Kenda Rampage in 25" I also bought the wheels from them they were 12 " both front and rear. The fronts are a bit narrower and when you stand the front next to the rear they are a little bit shorter ,not much at all. I was a little bit concerned at first, but thought what the heck. After running them for about 40 miles , paying close attention to the handling and listening for any anomalies I quit worrying and started having some fun!! I have not had any problems yet. If you are going to buy some new tires call T.I. The total price for my tires and steel powder coated wheels was $418.00 to my door. Now back to your question I really don't know about over-all dia. but my stock Rancher 4x4 tires were a little closer to the same size than the new ones. But they had over 800 miles on them.

Old 08-30-2000, 01:01 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, here is some help. Called my dealer and they told me your making this way to complicated. As long as the tire Diameter is the same on the tire the rear end and the front end is ok. So changing to a 12 " rim on both don't matter as long as the TIRE diameter is the same. IT's that easy, only the old 300's had to have different sizes on them with the same rim. IT had to have a 25 on front and 26 on back to compensate for different ratios in the 4x4 tranny.

Old 08-30-2000, 10:49 AM
Pro Rider

Wheel size does not matter in this situation. It is tire size you are worried about. I would not think there should be any problems as long as you are not too far off in tire size.