Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Advice on Formen Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 12:56 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Formen Upgrades

Hello all
I am looking for some advice on upgrading my Formen 450 ES. Lately I have been riding with a buddy of mine with a Polaris 500. If I follow him, I seem to get stuck in his tracks, because of my lower ground clearance. So, I am thinking of jacking the quad, and installing a diff lock on the front. Any ideas, products or comments would be greatly appreciated. BTW how deep can the Formen go in water, and what happens if you pass that limit.

Thanks
Jack

Old 10-11-2004, 08:08 AM
Pro Rider

Hi. You could try going up a size or two in tiers. I have 25" mudlites , but I am sure 26" would ne fine. I do a lot of mud riding and my mudlites work great. You could even go with a more aggressive tire like the 589's. The snorkel on the foreman is just above the sticker on the left side of the gas tank. You do not want to get water in there. A lift kit might help...but also will place some extra strain on the wheeler. My dealer told me not to get a lift kit , even though he sells them. Try some larger more aggressive tires and see if that helps. I ride my foreman a lot with my friends and their wheelers in very nasty conditions and have not had any problems going where they go.

Old 10-12-2004, 05:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 2004 Foreman 450 S that I recently put 27" Dirt Devils on. The stock tires were 25" so this added 1 in. more ground clearance. I also thought about installing a lift kit but read through old posts and a lift kit may cause more problems than it is worth. Still thinking about trying it anyway. I've had my Foreman in Water over the Wheels but anytime that you take it in deep water you will want to check the engine oil and differential oil afterwards and make sure that no water got in there. Don't let water get into the air box. If you do get a little water in there then reach underneath the quad and there is a plug to let the water out. Hope this helps.