Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

What's a better machine the rubicon or rincon?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 12:37 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's a better machine the rubicon or rincon?

the rubicon does NOT have more pulling power than the rincon wether it has a low range or not. if you want low range just use the ESP, thats what its for. the rincon is 650cc and the rube is 500, do the math. the rincon is better than the rubicon in every way except that the rubicon has bigger racks than the rincon but that dont matter, buy a trailer if you need more cargo room.

Old 10-15-2004, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BareTread
the rubicon does NOT have more pulling power than the rincon wether it has a low range or not. if you want low range just use the ESP, thats what its for. the rincon is 650cc and the rube is 500, do the math. the rincon is better than the rubicon in every way except that the rubicon has bigger racks than the rincon but that dont matter, buy a trailer if you need more cargo room.
are you kidding?? honeltly dude u have to figure weight and wheelbase into this also.just because it has more CCs doesnt mean anything. my 250 with my *** on it can pull just as much as the ol' polaris in its low gear... think before you talk [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-15-2004, 09:51 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Rincon has no engine-braking below 8 mph. What Honda was thinking??? Descending a nasty technical downhill on a 600+ lb. machine without it, is one of the dumbest things I could ever imagine attempting!

The new Rubicon has selectable 2wd/4wd (TraxLok), so that shouldn't be an issue.

Take a good look at the new Foreman 475 (the old 450 they mentioned above has been discontinued). Same dimensions as the Rubicon, but with a redesigned frame, and TraxLok. Best thing is a nice simple reliable manual transmission! If you don't want to shift with your foot, get the ES with electric shift. I need another 4X4, and this machine is looking pretty good to me!

http://powersports.honda.com/atvs/ut...elId=TRX500FM5

Old 10-15-2004, 11:44 AM
Pro Rider

the rubicon also has a bigger payload then the rincon so you dont need a trailer to haul that extra load.
and like reconranger said the rincon has no engine brakeing below 8 mph and the rubicon has the best engine brakeing system on the market.
and thats a fact.
also the rubicon is 1500 dollers cheaper then the rincon.
and i will bet my rubicon has more tourque then the rincon because it has 5 low gears and 5 high gears
and the rincon has no low range and only 3 gears and no trailer hitch because its ment to be a trail quad not a work quad.
i dont know what BareTread is talking about because my dealer even said the the rubicon has more pulling power.
and from what i've read in all the mags the rincon seems to lack bottem end torque.
and it sucks going down big hills.
if it was me i would wait till the 05 rubicons come out and get one of those.
rubicons rule the rest all drool.

Old 10-15-2004, 02:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I am also going to suggest that you look at the 2005 Foreman 500 (475). You might also want to consider a Vinson.

Between the Rubi and Rin? I would choose the Rubi. If I was going to put out enough money to buy a Rincon. I would consider a King Quad.

If money isn't an issue and you really want a Honda Rubi or Rincon. Wait and get a 2005 Rubi with disc brakes and selectable 4x4.

Old 10-16-2004, 01:07 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Rincon was not designed for slow, technical trail riding. It was designed to not only fly up the mountain, but to also fly down it. I don't think it was ever intended to ever be ridden under 8 mph. Yes it can do slow technical stuff, but it's lack of engine braking and no low range, I know, it has a torque converter, it's a 650 and so on, makes it less desirable for low speed riding. But when going slow, a very low 1st gear or low range is better. Period. Why does everyone keep arguing this point? Its like arguing what is more aggressive, a locker or a limited slip. Thats a tough one too. The Rincon wasn't designed and built for low speed travel. Other ATV's were.

Rincon - "FAST" trail machine, more SPORT oriented
Rubicon - SLOW trail machine, UTILITY oriented
450 (sorry, 475) - the TANK that never breaks

Just my opinion, but I think the best ATV Honda builds will be the 05 Rubicon, hands down best ATV on the market. Love that Hondamatic.

Reconranger, I don't want to hear it!!!!!! "no foot shift on the 05 Rubicon" LOL

Old 10-16-2004, 05:41 PM
Range Rover

mudblaster, the rubicon is 500 bucks cheaper not 1500 so you dont know what your talikng about. and learn how to spell. and yeah i know its nice to have engine braking but thats not a big deal, thats why they give you brakes. the rincon is way better

Old 10-16-2004, 06:35 PM
Trailblazer

The 2005 Rincon can be had for 451 dollars more than the 2005 rubicon (both non-GPS) I would for the most part be using it for casual riding and plowing my driveway, the both look really cool - the '05 model's that is. The 04 Rubicon can be had for 5249.00 which in a sense is way cheaper but no traxlok.

I'm not sure whhat you guys are talking about when you say - "Engine braking" I had a honda xr650 and it was tough to go slow, my kids ride little pw80's so low speeds are common more often than not. My 650 would chug at low speeds and that was a pain.

The rubicon has a nice convenient shift fwd to reverse lever, hopefully it'll steer easy like the traxlok rancher or rincon. I understand that the 04 rubicon is tougher to manuever in tight spaces and takes more muscle, want wife to plow [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] so the 05 rubicon or rincon are it.

I understand that the rincon has 3 gears, how many does the 05 rubicon have?

The rubicon is due in December - if it were here now, I'd opt for it - I think. Is the rincon worth 415.00 more, the 650 is a bonus, but the shifting on the rubicon and headlight is also a bonus, the rubicon has a lever that allows for different levels of torque for pulling. Not sure which machine is more dependable? I have heard the rincon has a trans seal (at least in the 03 models) that alloed pressure to cause the totque converter to not pull, it was referred to me a the trans slipping...more often in cold weather.

Thanks,

Phil

I guess another important issue would be resale value years down the road?

Old 10-16-2004, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider

engine compression breaking is what happens whan you downshift off the gas. it slows down rapidly without the breaks.

what is ment when the rincon has no engine compression breaking lower than 8 mph is it doesnt do the above. this is just what happens with a car style auto.

the rubicon has 10 forward (5 high 5 low) and one reverse.

i would think the re-sale value would be closebecause the MSRP's are about the same.

because you mentioned plowing, id go with the rubicon. the rincon doesnt have the low end needed for plowing and i know for a fact that plowing with a stock auto truck can reek havic on a trannie

Old 10-17-2004, 02:46 AM
Pro Rider

it might be 500 us dollers but its 1500 cdn and dont get your nose out of joint Boy.
and i think you know what i said wether i spelled it rite or not.

Quick Reply: What's a better machine the rubicon or rincon?