Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Newbie with some more 300 EX Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 10:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie with some more 300 EX Questions

I just got my first quad a 98 300 EX. A friend and I who purchased a 350 Warrior 2 nights before I got mine went out today onto the power lines. I must say although this is the first quad i have owned I have road quads & bikes sense i was 12. I am really impressed with the 300 it had no trouble at all keeping up with a 98 warrior today on the trails or in speed. But low and behold just as we had gone back out to ride the clutch cable snapped. So my first question is

Do i get a honda OEM or a Aftermarket? If Aftermarket which one?

Next what year range parts work for the 300 EX the parts man at the local honda shop seemed to say the 300 uses its own line but are any parts changable mainly the fenders. The 300 ex has some fat ugly fenders where as the 250 and the 400 have nice sporty looking fenders that will still protect you from mud and water.

At present point it has the very narrow 2" or so front fender on it now. And today riding really sucked unless i was hard on it 3rd and above. Which to me is hard to achive while looking and riding new trails you just cant get the speed up or you will end up on top of a stump as a friend did today.. Thats what happens in brush covered powerlines.

Lastly does anyone know any good areas to ride in NC. both free areas and also paid entry parks.

Old 10-13-2004, 10:19 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Do you have a balloon?

A 300ex is a 300ex as far as parts go. The 250ex and 400ex fenders really won't fit. I have seen 400ex fenders on the 300 but it takes alot of work. There is aftermarket fenders, which you probably have on it. If they are Maier fenders add ons can be purchased and installed. We have a 300ex with factory fenders cut back. It looks real sporty and was easy to do. Click on the camara, then i think photo 3, yellow and red 300ex lowered for flat-track racing.

Old 10-13-2004, 10:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

That is pretty much what i have now. The guy that had it before me trimmed the fendors off the stock front. What i have is about a 2" wide front fender and the front wheels are totally exposed. I loved the look on dry land. But it offers me zero protection. On the trail or well the trail we started making today i got smacked by everything. Mud in the eye the whole 9 yards. I did find if i was about mid throttle 3rd gear and above i got fast enough that the water from teh grass and wet roads fanned out and missed me more but any slower then that and i was soaked. Didnt matter the speed on trail puddles i got soaked and covered in mud which is fun mind ya but terrible on the clothes and washing machine

Oh and before i forget I have seen others talk about it when i did a search but WTH is up with the reverse on these things i hear mention of some orts a kit does any one have a name or a link to this kit. Reaching over the bike is sucha pain espesially on hills and such trying to go into reverse.

Old 10-13-2004, 10:49 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Do you have a balloon?

New stock front fenders are about 180 a side, goggles are 30$. If you want fenders try E-bay, you might also see that reverse lever on there. I have never seen one in person, but it looks like it would be good.

Old 10-13-2004, 10:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

LOL true i have yet to get goggles and a Helmet because i do like the look of the bike as it sits now. I guess it all depends on if i can find Yellow Fenders for it if so then its going to be changed for sure. I will eventually get some pictures of it up as soon as i find the software for the camera.

Old 10-13-2004, 11:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Few more questions. Has anyone converted there thumb throttle to a twist grip throttle? Is there any trouble in doing this? Also is it a good thing to do? Personal prefrence is for a twist throttle being brought up on dirt bikes.

Second question. This has some some sort of aftermarket exhaust. Not sure which because any markings are gone. There is a cap on the end of the muffler. But I have noticed that although i have top end power i dotn have alot of low end bit on take off. Which exhaust is good to switch to that isnt a very loud exhaust as i ride in some populated areas and dont want land owners complaining to much about the noise.