|
Trailblazer
Default 440ex jetting of stock carb HELP

Thanks Buddy !!!Will do

440LW

Old 10-28-2004 | 07:14 PM
Range Rover

Check your plug after a hard riding and see what color it is... your looking for it to be a grey color. If it is white you are still to lean or black you are to rich.

Old 10-28-2004 | 08:47 PM
|
Trailblazer

Will do ,thanks for the info .When I hit the throttle hard ,it does put out a little bit of black smoke.Not much though .Which would lead me to believe it's a tad rich ,but I will check the plug like you said .Rather too rich than too lean .

Thanks again,

440LW

Old 10-30-2004 | 04:59 AM
Pro Rider

i would go smaller on the mainjet. i usually turn the fuel screw in until it starts to pop on deceleration. then back it out to the point where it doesn't pop.

Old 10-30-2004 | 12:23 PM
|
Trailblazer

I kinda acts like it is starving for fuel a tad bit at WOT .I cant really tell if Im floating the valves ,starving for fuel ,or hitting the rev limiter .It is winding out pretty good ,but it just seems like it could go alittle more .Any advice ???It really is actually rideable the way it is ,but if I can get just a tad more out of it ,that wouldn't hurt .Yea ,Im gonna turn the air screw in a tad .Thanks,

440LW

Old 10-30-2004 | 04:20 PM
Range Rover

A lot of people make the mistake of going to big on the jet size... Don't be one of them! 170 is TO BIG!

Old 10-30-2004 | 05:16 PM
|
Trailblazer

Ok ,thanks .What would you recomend ?

440LW

Old 10-30-2004 | 05:36 PM
Range Rover

Every bike is different and the fact that you have had some port work makes that more evident. Also where you are at makes a bigger difference when you start pushing a machine for performance. Jets are something that are not "plug and play" I am in Arkansas and when we go to Little Sahara in Oklahoma we change jets. Your best bet is to try going up in size from stock until it runs like it should. We carry a little plastic case with all sizes of jets for any condition. If you want to get it done in one easy setting find a ATV performance shop that can put it on a dyno and check your air/fuel ratio while making a few pulls. They can set you right...

Old 10-30-2004 | 06:01 PM
|
Trailblazer

Ok ,sounds good .I know of a shop that can do that for me .Im at about sea level roughly 550 feet .Alot mst all) of my riding is in the sand down in Oregon .Killer dunes !!!So is it true what I have heard ,that you want to run a little richer while dune riding ??Because of the x-tra strain on the motor .Last year when I just had the regular 400 motor in it ,I was 4 sizes over ,and it was too rich .So I knocked it down 2 sizes ,and it was still rich .What I was afraid o f is going too small ,and wrecking my motor .Now...With this 440 kit Im monkeying around with jetting ,and it seems to be running pretty good ,but really wont know until I can get out there and run it .Unfortunatly ,I cant even throw my leg over the thing until March ,since Im recovering from ACL surgery ,tore up my knee real good down in Or. at the dunes this year .So Im just going by free reving the motor ,with no load on it .Bottom line is that I probably wont know much till I can actually ride it .Right ??

Thanks,

440LW

Old 10-30-2004 | 06:12 PM
Range Rover

Well like I said, once you get into performance you have to pay way more attention... My R went from a V Force reed cage to stock with carbon fiber reeds... It was running fine until I ran a few races and found out the hard way it was lean on the top end... That is the beauty of the dyno. It tells you if you need to go up or down on main and pilot jets by maping air to fuel ratio... If you are off you run less likely a chance of running the wrong thing and ending up replacing parts. If you do it at home by trial and error, it is prolly better that you do have it rich and work your way down to a good color on your plug and she runs good.

Quick Reply: 440ex jetting of stock carb HELP