Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Stuck on private property??? UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 10:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck on private property??? UPDATE

Today we went back there and helped the guy pull his rincon out. It took a tractor to get it out but we got it. We went back to our house and settled it by having the rider pay for property damage and some other things. I agreed with all of you that said we should just help him pull it out and tell him not to come back, but down in illinois right now it is hunting season and our property had some hunters on it, and it caused some arguments. Well he had to pay a bit of money and that was that. Nobody is mad at anyone anymore, and we are happy. No law involved.

Old 10-31-2004, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider
I ride a little here and there......

Sounds good

Old 10-31-2004, 10:52 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad everything worked out ok.

Old 11-01-2004, 12:48 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Sounds boring. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] You could have had soooo much fun. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Oh well.

There's a old Chevy truck up on the mountain that blew a engine in a mud hole. (I know who used to own it.) He left it there about 20 years ago. The thing is still there and beat all to heck. Refering to Chet's other reply in the other thread. Someday millions of years from now, someone is going to dig it up and try to figure out why it suffered such a terribly painful death. They will wonder why it died with fuel still in it's tank and some oil still in it's motor. Perhaps it broke a limb and was taken down by a predator. Then again it may have fallen victim to a Super Volcano.

Old 11-01-2004, 02:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

<u>In reference to the comments on your original post</u>posted this over there also..
I can't believe anybody would say to "be nice" to these guys........
SmittyEX stated "it was posted everywhere".
I'm assuming it was posted "private Property" or "no trespassing"

That means there is absolutely no excuse for those guys to be there. I would absolutely report them and press charges. I'm sure at the most they would just get fined. They would learn a lesson and show others why they should not do that.

I can't believe anybody out here in this ATV community condone the trespassing and say to be nice.
It is guys like them (trespassers) that give us all a bad name. It is guys like them that are the reason a lot of land is closed and continually being closed. It is guys like them that give these tree huggers and others ammunition against us. I could go on and on with reasons to not condone this crap.

If it was my property, I would string them up. It would cost them dearly to get the quad back.
I would not help them recover it, but make them do it themselves.

I obviously would not try to keep the quad or "steal" it. Which you would be doing even if it was left on your property and you tried to keep it.

I saw SmittyEX's post on the outcome. I think they should have recovered it by themselves. I'm glad to see he got them to compensate him with some money. I think he should have been harder on them, but glad to see he handled in a positive manner and did hold them accountable.
----------
Coyotechaser,
You are so right. He could have had a great time with this. Lots of good/fun things he could have done to mess with them. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-01-2004, 02:16 AM
Pro Rider

well said.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-01-2004, 03:12 AM
Pro Rider

the problem with reporting it to the cops is that then they become a statistic. they become another number for the politicians and tree huggers to use against us. last weekend i did some serious damage to my jaw out in the dunes at an AMA event, because i was hurt at the event they had to do paperwork on it. my biggest regret is not that i can't ride for a while, or the dental bill, it's that i gave the environmentalists another number to help close the dunes. i think u did the right thing, they had a punishment for their crime, and they didn't do ne damage to the sport's name.

Old 11-01-2004, 03:12 PM
Range Rover

Maybe he helped them get the Rincon unstuck because he did not want more damage done to the property. Afterall the owner of the Rincon would probably be willing to spend the day in the riverbed digging it up to get his quad back.

How much money are we talking about anyway? Just curious.

Old 11-03-2004, 12:57 AM
Range Rover

Good Luck -- if you can work it out and stop the trespassing. With the attitudes expressed by some on this board, why wouldn't you involve the sheriff? I still think it is the rude, inconsiderate ATV'ers that ruin it for everyone.

We own property that is posted no tresspassing. If we are contacted and asked permission to hunt or ride ATV's, we generally give permission as long as the person acts responsible, safely, and follows our requests to not damage our crops and facilities.

However, we constantly have people hunting, riding ATV's, having beer parties, dumping yard waste, appliances, garbage, and driving thru mud when it rains. We have caught some in the act and have asked them to leave since they did not have permission to be on the property. I have heard every excuse under the sun. Stupid excuses about being lost, didn't realize they crossed a "marked" property line, wanted to see where this trail went, chasing dog that got loose, it looked like a fun place to ride, etc. I've even had people tell me they can ride anywhere they want in the country and I can't stop them. We have finally started calling the county sheriff since repeat offenders ignored our requests. About 90 percent of our tresspassers are 15 to 25 year olds. Our sheriff has not had to arrest anyone yet. But having the sheriff deliver the kids to their parents and discuss future consequences has been the best way to convince kids to stay off the property.

Sorry, if I sound like a real scrooge, but the land owner seems to always be the first person sued if an accident occurs. I can not financially risk losing everything because of a tresspasser.