Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

HELP! Rear shocks - single vs. duel ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2000, 10:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was just wondering what is the difference between single rear shocks on a
Honda TRX300 2x4 and duel rear shocks on a Kawasaki 300 2x4?

Do the duel shocks handle muck better, as comfortable? Is there anything
you should watch out for when riding an atv with the single shock. I know
on my friends Kawasaki with duel shocks you can be driving fast and turn and
just slide sideways on corners on dirt. Would the single shock allow this
kind of handling?

I ask cuz i'm considering buying a used TRX300.

Thanks for the advice!

Old 09-04-2000, 10:57 PM
Range Rover

The dual(not duel) rear shock setup allows for a little more body roll in turns, but the Kaw still has a solid rear axle housing so its not like independant rear suspension. Trust me, the Honda will handle as well or better than the Kaw, ride better(if you ride fast), plus the Kaw has had a lot of problems with that locking/unlocking rear differential. The Honda is a little lighter, too. Power should be about the same, and engine dependability about the same also. Have fun!

Old 09-05-2000, 12:47 AM
Pro Rider

No real benefit here considering these two machines, it was up to the engineers. Typically a single rear shock will have more travel, but that's found mostly on sport quads than utility quads.

Old 09-05-2000, 06:23 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Kawasaki has a semi-independent rear suspension, known as "swing-axle." The rear axle on the Kawasaki can move up and down; also, the axle can rotate somewhat from side to side on uneven terrain (for example, the left wheel can follow bumps and holes while the right wheel rolls on level ground). The wheels of the solid axle swing axle suspension can move up and down; also, the axle can "twist" about the driveshaft axis. This suspension is more nimble and smoother over irregular terrain, like rocks, than the mono-shocked "swing arm" rear suspension of the Honda, whose rear axle is free to move in only one plane, the vertical plane, and each rear wheel must move in exactly the same amount and direction as its mate.

Some ATV's have dual shocks, but still use swing arm design; that is, the axle can move in only one (vertical) plane.

ATV's like some Suzukis, Arctic Cats, and Polarises have fully-independent rear suspensions; their left and right rear wheels move fully independent of each other; since the Kawasaki has a solid rear axle, it is called semi-independent.

If broadsliding on relatively smooth surfaces interests you more, the swing arm Honda-type suspension will do a better job because the rear end will break loose easier with less body lean; if negotiating non-symmetrical rough terrarin is more important, go with the semi-independent swing axle of the Kawasaki.

Tree Farmer