Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Lately, Honda's not been making sense!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2000, 11:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All right guys, I'm not trying to start a bashing topic, but have a question that I've started wondering about lately. I know that Polaris guys always use the same things when talking about what they think Polaris has on Honda: Disk Brakes, Switchable True 4WD, and IRS. To me, these are good options on the Polaris model(s). However, I've always liked Honda and their reliability. But lately, Honda hasn't been making sense(last 3-4 years). Honda doesn't like making their bikes to where they can be 2 or 4WD, because it is just something else to tear up. They avoid a better 4WD system, because it might involve electronics, that would be less reliable. Keep the bikes air-cooled, as liquid cooling is just something else to go bad. Up to this point, I can definitely see Honda's reasoning. What I don't understand is what they've been doing lately. The electric shift hasn't been reliable for alot of people, and now the liquid-cooled Rubicon with the trick tranny. Sure, hydraulic is better than belts, but what about those 6 electric sensors that operate it? It sounds to me that Honda is going against everything that has made them reliable in the past. Their machines are quickly becoming more electrical than Polaris. And what gets me is that they still won't put a positive traction front end or 2-4WD switch, even though they seem to think electrical is good. Don't get me wrong, I still like Honda. I wouldn't buy the Ruby or any ES model, but overall, I still think Honda is a good bike. What do you all think about it? Let's try to keep this post objective and have no bashing, as that is not what I'm trying to accomplish.

Old 09-05-2000, 11:56 AM
Trailblazer

I think Honda will eventually come out with that stuff. But if they do come out with a 2/4wd switch I think they will make it more reliable than a button. Maybe they will use a lever. I think the reason they didn't put that on the RUbicon was it already has so many options you can choose from. As for the disc brakes I have no idea why they don't put them on their atv's. The IRS usually makes bikes alot heavier than a regular solid axel. I think Honda will find a way to keep the weight down whenever they do decide to put IRS on one if their atv's.

Old 09-05-2000, 12:06 PM
Pro Rider

Honda normally takes the safe route when making things, good in one way but can be boring also. I recently read and article about the Honda Accord and the VW Jetta, the author said this in the end, you want the most reliable 4 door sedan out there get the Accord, you want something fun to drive get the Jetta. one will start 99 percent of the time the other 97.

Old 09-05-2000, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider

2-4wd selector is mechanical set-up which requires another gearbox or at least another gear set within the transmission, not merely an electronic hook-up as some might think. This also = more weight, and a possible weak link in the drivetrain especially for mudders.

Electronic true 4wd (polaris), good system for somethings, not so good for others. The trick here would be to use a manual locking diff set-up like Suzuki has on the King Quad, but again more parts, more weight. (locking diff systems are dangerous for decending steep hills while locked, no front end control).

I believe Honda is trying to stay away from too many complex driveline parts or systems, not electronics.
Don't get me wrong, at one time I would have prefered a machine with only the essential electrical components, but the ES has a manual shifter so you'll never be stranded due to electrical problems if a sensor goes out. I have the ES and have had no problems at all now over 3000 klm. The problem was with a select few in earlier models. Now that I've had a taste of the ES I would not go back to a foot shifter.
My .02.

Old 09-05-2000, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider

The same reason I love the auto could not go back there is no way.Unless it was a deal that was just to good.
There is no perfect 4x4 system. it is a personal choice really what a person likes.

Old 09-05-2000, 02:30 PM
Pro Rider

Honda does like to keep it simple but they put some sort of computer on the tranny and went to liguid cooled even though I never heard of a 450 Foreman over heating.If I was going to change something it would of been on the suspension or 2wd,4wd option instead something you can feel the differance about when riding.I do not think Honda should worry about weight because a 600lb quad feels like a heavy pig the same as a 700lb one but the heavier bike could land from a jumb softer if it has the better suspension ,go figger.

Old 09-05-2000, 03:06 PM
Pro Rider

The way I look at it is if every manufacturer went the ways of Polaris there would be no variety. Some of us dont really care about a 2wd/4wd switch or disc brakes. With the way it is now, I have a VERY wide variety to choose from when buying an ATV.

Old 09-05-2000, 03:10 PM
Pro Rider

Great post guys,going good.Just want to throw my thoughts in here.after rideing with several yamahas and zukis this weekend,I have came to relize just how well I really like the AUTO and the IRS.The Grizz was good machine but seemed to bounce all over the trail bad and when pulling at radical place really hopped bad.It was off the ground much more of the time.The ZUKIs were kind of a disapointment to me,I not bashing them only pointing out what I saw.They are low slung and would have ground clearance trouble are short wheel base that help some places and hurt others.They would tackle something and if they weren't in right gear had trouble.The Kodiak was great machince went every where we did,I thought it was probley the best of the bunch,other than the 500SP of course.Still a lot goes back to rider ability!!!!I didn't leave HONDA out I think there was only one and really didn't get to observe him and also just one CAT so didn't get to see him in action either.There were probley 20 quads saturday and only 8-10 on sunday.CM

Old 09-05-2000, 03:20 PM
Pro Rider

True allot of people don't care about IRS and that stuff. Variety is a good thing. I read that 2/3rds of atv's sold in the US are shifting ones.
Hence Polaris making the Xpedition. I will admit i like the IRS allot on my SP, the ride is something else. The switchable 2/4 wheel drive is cool but i would not care if it was full time as long as both wheel spin. Owned a 3 wheel drive and did not like it. Allot of people drive 2 wheel drive atv's and love them. Lighter, less complicated. I ride with a 2 wheel drive atv quite allot he seems to have as much fun as me and goes every were I do, maybe not as easily but he still gets there.

Old 09-05-2000, 03:26 PM
Pro Rider

the switchable 2wd/4wd thing can get a novice rider in SERIOUS trouble. case in point. we had a greenerhorn rider than me on a grizz last ride we went on. he had the grizz in 2wd and tried to assend a step hill. the rear wheels broke traction and that was it. he sat spinning 3/4ths of the way up the hill. He was scared outta his mind. We got to his as quickly as we could calmed him down and told him what to do.

Moral of this story.....no full time 4wd is not better than selectable but selectable is not better the full time. novice riders would be better off/safer on full time 4wd in case of a situation like the above. I love my full time 4wd because it is one less thing to think about/worry about. I love my ES because is is super slick and I don't worry about it braking. I love the manual tranny because it is another thing to not worry about.

We all ride quads for one reason. and one reason only, to HAVE FUN!!!!!!! An boy, is there alot of fun to be had. I love my rancher. You other boys love your sportsmans, or grizzlies or blasters or whatever else you ride.

Stay safe and have fun.

hope to met you all on the trails some day

cart

Quick Reply: Lately, Honda's not been making sense!!!