Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

how much $$$ to insure my recon? is it the law in NY?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much $$$ to insure my recon? is it the law in NY?

well i pay $198 a year but thats for both the blaster and the yfz full coverage on both, and i think if ur ridin on ur own property u dont need the insurance or anything but anywhere else u do

Old 11-28-2004, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider

it seems like theres a lot of confusion, i might as well insure it, but is it the law?
i read a post in i think land and environmental issues forum, about a guy that got a ticket and impounded for no insurance. heres the link

Old 11-29-2004, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

we were told by local sheriffs and state DEC that you must be insured and registered to even ride on your own property. besides i do it because you should be and that you need it for all of the poker runs. a friend was given a ticket for tresspassing. he was riding on a local active railroad bed that leads to a abandoned railroad bed. the cops said both were illegal.

Old 11-29-2004, 09:32 AM
Range Rover

Roscoe, what I meant was without the reg & ins, they will threaten to take your quads. You're right, with it you are in better shape. Actually, can anyone answer under what conditions your quads can be confiscated? Is it like if the cop is in a bad mood you're done?

For the $140, I've got liability only on 2 quads. What does theft add to the price generally?

Hey boys, wait until we start paying out $50-$100/year/quad for registration. That got dropped this year. And like Grizzk says, even quads on private property need reg, ALL quads. Cash windfall for the NYS!!! You know I wouldn't mind if I got it back like the sledders do. I remember seeing an article in the Buffalo News last year where WNY sled clubs got like $400,000 for trails. What could ATV'er's do with $400,000? A lot!!!

Old 11-29-2004, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider

For a different view in Texas we have to do neither. Just a title when you purchase. I haven't checked on insurance but you can get it. But if my quad(s) are stolen from my garage at either house (weekend place has it's own homeowners policy) then they are covered minus the 1% value of the home deductable. Since they stay at the weekend place most of the time that's about $700. They are also covered if stolen from the back of my pickup or trailer. It's replacement cost. This of course doesn't mean I have any comp. coverage. But if I'm stupid enough to sink it in a pond then I shouldn't expect my insurance company to cover that. JMO.

For the varying prices you might look at each others ductable.

Old 11-29-2004, 06:03 PM
Range Rover

See Robn, the difference between the states that we live in is NYS doesn't give a $hit about ATV'ers, they are just looking to generate more cash for the general operating fund of the state. Not one dime of ATV reg $$$ goes back to quad'ers. And for that they are looking at raising reg from today's $10 to $60. Meanwhile I believe the number is like 50% of sledder's reg money goes back to fund their trails. How is that for fairness??

Old 11-29-2004, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider

markymann, i read somewhere on a website that back in 1980 something that when atv's started being registered that there was afund started that the money was going into for trails and such, but since changes in policy and policy makers all the money was put into a general fund. according to this website there is nearly 4 million dollars in there that has never been used. it probably went towards some tree huggers or something. how accurate this is i dont know.

Old 11-29-2004, 07:19 PM
Pro Rider

there are too many god dam city slickers and tree huggers ruining it for all of us.

Old 11-30-2004, 09:27 AM
Range Rover

Grizz, I got my info off of either NYTRO or NYSORVA's web sites. There is no money put aside just because it went into the general fund. The general fund goes to pay any state costs. Now this past year the push was on to raise reg to $60. Most was to go still into the general fund, and something like $500,000 of it was to fund a state commissioned study on whether there was a need for ATV trails.

Geez, give me the $500,000!!! Yes, there is a state need for trails. There it's done, and there's money left over!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-30-2004, 09:50 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Markymannn
See Robn, the difference between the states that we live in is NYS doesn't give a $hit about ATV'ers, they are just looking to generate more cash for the general operating fund of the state. Not one dime of ATV reg $$$ goes back to quad'ers. And for that they are looking at raising reg from today's $10 to $60. Meanwhile I believe the number is like 50% of sledder's reg money goes back to fund their trails. How is that for fairness??

I hear you but with the good comes the bad. Texas has no state income tax and I think NY does...not sure. In Texas we own that to the oil companies. But also in Texas, the state is about 95% privately owned. That means not to many places to ride unless you or a friend own the land. I do invy you when I see pics of riding in hills, streams and such. also the dune riders of the west coast. All public land to just ride on. You don't go far around here without hitting a fence.