Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

250R....Standard or Long Travel front end?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 05:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 250R....Standard or Long Travel front end?

I'm building a 250R and would like some feedback from R owners with long travel and standard front suspension. Is the long travel worth the money? BTW, this is going to be a playbike that will be hitting the motocross track frequently. Thanks.

Old 12-14-2004, 09:49 AM
Pro Rider

bump

Old 12-14-2004, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

Sure, why not? More travel is always better, I suppose. Can't think of any reason not to, unless, money is a factor. BTW, where did you get the exhaust paint? I've only been able to find black.

These are sweet.

Long Travel A-Arms

Old 12-14-2004, 03:31 PM
Pro Rider

Cant say I know anyone who didnt like the additional travel or smoother ride of their LT set up, but just beware of all the std set ups (those that use the shorter shocks) that claim to be LT due to a larger amount of movement in the ball joints.

I know mine isnt exactly the same as the R but on the EX there isnt any comaparison between the two at all, and I dont think I could go back anymore.

Old 12-14-2004, 03:37 PM
Pro Rider

A long travel front end completely changes the handling of a quad. If you plan on doing lots of jumps, get it. But if it will be used as a play/trail bike save your money. I have +1 standard travel arms w/ohlins and can outrun guys with long travel a-arms in an XC race any day. The turning radius is increased greatly.

Old 12-14-2004, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 1BAD250R
A long travel front end completely changes the handling of a quad. If you plan on doing lots of jumps, get it. But if it will be used as a play/trail bike save your money. I have +1 standard travel arms w/ohlins and can outrun guys with long travel a-arms in an XC race any day. The turning radius is increased greatly.

I am not flaming your post but I dont understand how that could be, and can you explain why LT would be bad for XC compared to std travel?

What I do know is that when I have rode other ex's with similar or same shocks but the std length with either stk or aftermarket a-arms none of them offered a ride as "plush" as the LT set up on mine. I know much of that can be from set up, but it would seem insane to think that all of them were wrong. Well maybe not insane but surely a shame considering what this stuff costs.

Old 01-09-2005, 01:39 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry I should have clarified my statement more. Generally when you think of a long travel front end you are talking about plus 2 or 3 arms. Very few companies (houser is the only one I klnow of) make a plus 1 long travel front end. In that sense, a plus 2 or 3 a arm set up is bad in the woods. It can be difficult to negotiate the tight turns with a front end that wide. lots of XC riders actually run standard width front ends. It all depends upon what type of terrain you ride on.

Old 01-09-2005, 01:48 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Do you have a balloon?

I don't know anything about long travel. A new sponser of this thread, is a shock/ suspension company. They stated long travel is impossible, unless you count under ground travel.

My question is? Does a long travel front end let the tire move more, and if so how much more, or is that company's story true?

Old 01-09-2005, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 1BAD250R
Sorry I should have clarified my statement more. Generally when you think of a long travel front end you are talking about plus 2 or 3 arms. Very few companies (houser is the only one I klnow of) make a plus 1 long travel front end. In that sense, a plus 2 or 3 a arm set up is bad in the woods. It can be difficult to negotiate the tight turns with a front end that wide. lots of XC riders actually run standard width front ends. It all depends upon what type of terrain you ride on.
yep you can have those +3's for the woods but you'll have trouble with the ruts and the wideness of the trails, i run stock length Chrome Burgard A arms with PEP zero preload shocks and i couldn't ask for too much better handling on a quad or a better suspension, either way you go it'll make it handle better and besides that, the 250R's were one of the best handling quads ever made. I've only had my 250R wound out in 6th only a couple of times, but i can say that it does not shake a bit compared to my brother's stock 400ex that doesn't have a bit of handling as my R.

good luck choosing, but if i were you if you're not going to be competing against other racers then i'd just go with the stock length. oh and btw i passed up an awesome deal a few months ago and i feel so dumb for such thing lol. my buddy was going to sell me a set of brand new Houser +3's for 300 bucks.

Old 01-12-2005, 01:08 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, unless you race MX a +2 or +3 front end is a little overkill. I find my +1 Burgard's to be an overall great setup. They are awesome in the woods and for all around trail riding and perfrom pretty well out on the MX track.

Quick Reply: 250R....Standard or Long Travel front end?