Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Tire Chains on your ATV

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2000, 11:46 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone had experience using chains on their quad. I was planning on buying a pair for on icy roads in the mountians. I was wondering if you had any problems and what the ride is like and how they affect handling. any place you can get them cheap?

anyone????

Old 09-12-2000, 12:42 AM
Range Rover

Madmaxx, I ordered a pair for my Traxster. I thought for $100 for four it's worth a try. I bought them for two reasons. Snow and maybe a plow or deeper in the forest for clearing trails during that time in Nov/Dec when it's frozen ground and little snow. When I get them I want to try a wet plowed field first, then as the ground freezes test them that way as well. See my post under Bombardier/Traxster evaluation. Chains and the bags are my next evaulation. Notice I got stuck with my normal tires and I did skid once on my 125-mile adventure. I'd like to go with a lift kit and some mudders if the chains don't work. Hey, I'll spend a $100 first, try and cry, then go $600 for what I'd really like at a later date. I'll keep you posted somehow, until then good luck. PS don't know what cheap is for chains.

Old 09-12-2000, 12:57 AM
JRM
Pro Rider

we have a pair for our big red, they are great and grab awesome in mud and ice. ours were a old set of V bar truck chains that we cut and welded to fit the bike(trike. just use alot of bungies to hold them on and another note, they will dig fast so try not to get high centered!

Old 09-12-2000, 12:20 PM
Les
Trailblazer

I ran a set on my '87 Honda Foreman, I had them on the rear first, but it made a serious under steer situtation. After I put them on the front things worked a lot better. Deep crusty snow and frozen ground. I used a set for a small pickup, Toyota I think. You can get them at Big K or Wally World, might have to try a couple of sizes to find the proper fit. I don't need them any more we don't get much snow here. Hope this is of some help.

Old 09-12-2000, 09:31 PM
Range Rover

i put chains on my 230 quadsport last year and they go good but they are fun too. but they dig holes real quick. on my quadsport when i was on some heavily ridding trails i can feel them but other wise you could not tell. just don't do very big burnouts cuz they fall of sometimes. and it is a pain the in butt to put them back on in the woods.

94 kingquad
85 230 quadsport

Old 09-12-2000, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

Still wish I could have seen them fall off. HAHA

Old 09-12-2000, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider

I was thinking of putting chains on my tires since their is alot of snow here in the winters...do you put them on just the back for 2wd ATV's or all wheels??
And how much are they?(a cheap pair)
Do they make a big difference??

Old 09-13-2000, 08:03 PM
Range Rover

for a 2 wd drive you put them on the rear cuz they won't help ya if you put them on the front. and i think chains are about 48 dollars now.

Old 09-14-2000, 10:16 AM
Pro Rider

Greetings,

Northern carries ATV chains in a range of sizes for around $40.

Old 09-14-2000, 08:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

I tried a set of tractor chains on 200SX and a 300EX, In light snow and ice they worked well but as soon as it gets a few inches deep the wide tires float on top and churn the snow digging itself in till the frame beaches. The chains also are likely to lift off the wide tires in the middle no matter how tight you make them, altering the shape of the plastic very quickly.

Quick Reply: Tire Chains on your ATV