Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400EX gives me more problems than the Banshee ever did!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400EX gives me more problems than the Banshee ever did!

Last night I cleaned my K&N w/ the cleaner and then rinsed it followed all the directions and let it dry over night. I oiled it this morning and reinstalled it. Then I washed my quad. Then I started it up to let it warm to change the oil and it was running fine for a lil while then it started not really idleing smooth but it was warmed up by then so I just turned it off and drained the oil. So I changed the oil fillter and oil and started it up and this thing Would not idle and to keep it running I had to keep my thumb on the throttle, well thats not half my problem because When it was running this thing was just sputtering and backfiring ran like shlt. What is wrong with it? It did this before but it would go back to normal after I let it cool. I'm not overfilling the oil at all and i'm running Amsoil synthetic 10w 40 (7 dollars a quart!!). The last time I rode it before I started it this morning it was running perfect. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 12-31-2004, 01:47 PM
Pro Rider

I just went out and took off the airbox cleaned it all out and sprayed sum of carb cleaner in the carb and got it all back together. Well it started and still ran horrible then after a few seconds of running it started to idle smooth so I went to ride it to see how it was doin and as soon as I started goin it just started popping and backfiring. It feels like this thing is running on full choke!

Old 12-31-2004, 02:11 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, I started it again and it runs good for about 45 seconds untill it starts running horrible again. Somebody please make a suggesting because i'm not going to be able to sleep tonight if I can't get it goin again today.

Old 12-31-2004, 02:21 PM
Pro Rider

take the air filter off, see it runs fine , if it does, you messed up your filter

Old 12-31-2004, 03:24 PM
Pro Rider

Its funny that you said that, I just got back from taking the airfilter off. It runs better w/ the air filter off. The motor was definatly staring for air. I'm going to clean it again and barly put any oil on it. thanks littlebill.

Old 12-31-2004, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider

do you have your airbox lid on when running it.. try running it with it off.. i would also lookin into dynojet good jet kit set up made by them it will really jump your power and low end. never hurts to lookin into it

Old 12-31-2004, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks, I already have a dynojet jet kit. And i've been running it w/ out the air box lid.

Old 12-31-2004, 04:39 PM
Pro Rider

I'm pretty sure I just over oiled it. In the directions it told me that the filter should be red to tell you when there is oil on it but I think I over did it.

Old 12-31-2004, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider

and you blamed it all on the honda. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

lol

Old 12-31-2004, 05:16 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Do you have a balloon?

Originally posted by: nosliw
and you blamed it all on the honda. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

lol
Yeah what he said![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: 400EX gives me more problems than the Banshee ever did!