Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Tips needed for removing axle

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 05:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips needed for removing axle

Tuesday I should have electric in my shop so I'd like to get my axle out of the carrier. Its been sandblasted so I need to do it asap before it rusts too bad. Do you guys have any tips for removing brake hub/wheel hub/sprocket hub without buggerin up the axle or damaging something. For all I know theyve never been removed since '86 so Im sure they're on there pretty good. I know better than to heat the axle. I did a search and it seems the best way to remove the lock nuts is with pipe wrenches and cheater bars...Any other tips? The bike is an 86 250r.
Oh yeah, the axle bearing kit I got came with bearings and seals, but no O-rings. Should I look into replacing the o-rings like it says in the manual...Sorry for any dumb questions, I just want to do everything right the first time...Thanks for any help!

Old 01-03-2005, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the axle nuts are hard to remove, heat them up with a torch until they are a warm red color all the way around. I will do this on many Honda ATV axles, and then I use a 15" cresent wrench on them. Slip the wrench on the nut while it is hot and give it a swift hit, with a 2 lb hammer. Normally it will knock the nut loose right away, spray some lube or penentrant on the threads and spin the nut off with the wrench.
( I suggest heat, as the axle nuts have a thread locker on them )

Yes, replace all seals and o-rings.

----- Gregg -----

Old 01-03-2005, 12:35 AM
Trailblazer

i have a 18" matco adjustable that i use with cheater pipe. be careful cheap adj wrenchs have a better chance of flexing and rounding off the nuts. pipe wrenches usally work well though. be sure to use a block off wood while knocking out the alxe from the carrier. and yes put on new orings while you are there. sucks to have a leak on new bearings

Old 01-03-2005, 09:22 PM
Trailblazer

You'd think theyd send o-rings with the bearing kit...Oh well. So heating it wont hurt anything huh? Im not replacing the axle...My old lady's mother has a 4ft pipe wrench in her basement, that thing might finally come in handy...I think I'll try that route and use heat as a last resort. I was mainly worried about the sprocket and brake hubs...They look like they might give be on there pretty good....Thanks for the help though....

Old 01-03-2005, 09:55 PM
Trailblazer

begin spraying the hubs with a good penatraiting oil, i like PB Blaster. if it will be a coulpe of days before you begin tear down you can just give em a shot every now and then. this shouldhelp. just try and keeep the other parts as clean as possible b/c all this will have to be completly clean before paint.
tynes

Old 01-04-2005, 07:22 PM
Trailblazer

Cool, thanks for the reply. The electrician didnt come today so I have a few more days to let it soak in PB. And I picked up the o-rings today at the dealer...Dam the suspense is killing me!

Old 01-04-2005, 07:40 PM
Trailblazer

be sure to back off the brakes before trying to remove the drum also there is probaly a oring around the axle between the drum and nuts besure it gets replaced. if heat is used it will be trash. the drums are made of pot metal and dont realy like to be beat on much so dont get in a hurry

Trending Topics

Old 01-04-2005, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider

9c1cap,

Where do you live in Maryland?

MotionPro makes a set of axle wrenches that will allow you to remove the nuts without damaging them and also allow you to properly re-torque the nuts. Overtighten and you are putting too much pressure on the bearings.

/Jon

Old 01-04-2005, 08:12 PM
Trailblazer

Just outside a little sh*thole called Frederick, and south of a bigger sh*thole known as Hagerstown [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-04-2005, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider

Read these too. I will be editing them so you have three of them. If you beat me to it, you won't see all three yet.

Link #1

Link #2

Link #3