Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

I hate to do this!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 11:30 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hate to do this!

i just got my Dg excellerator pipe and im not exactly sure on how to jet, so i took it in to a yamaha dealer to have them jet it. it costed 107 dollars, 95 of it for labor and 9 for parts. i feel really stupid doing this cause it shouldnt cost that much. but it runs really nicely.....now im broke.....

Old 01-06-2005, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider

and just think,you paid $95 for 10 minutes worth of work..

Old 01-06-2005, 11:54 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: thewayout420
and just think,you paid $95 for 10 minutes worth of work..

they said it took 1.25 hours to do it all

Old 01-07-2005, 12:12 AM
MTX
Pro Rider

they do it slow, and take their time. Ive seen some guys take their yfz carb out pop the jets in, in 2 mins.

Old 01-07-2005, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider

that's stupid that they take that long, man they're getting like 60 bucks an hour just to change jets that are easy enough to change yourself, and yet the jets themselves only costed 9 dollars, what a rip off

Old 01-07-2005, 02:31 AM
Rem
Pro Rider

you deserve to have gotten ripped off like that. if you wouldve consulted us on the forum you wouldve been able to do it urself for less than 9 dollars. its extremely simple, especially on a 4-stroke, theyre not as finicky with jetting as 2 strokes. and for all you know,i think this as well, they took 10 minutes to do it, and charged you for 1.5 or whatever. its pathetic if it took them that long, and i can almost guarantee they lied to you about their labor time...

Old 01-07-2005, 02:39 AM
The Facility

First all, I have no idea what shop is involved here, but the avergae rate for a jetting job on any machine with a single carb is around 1 hour.

Sure, installing the jet itself takes no time and not much effort.....But anyone who says that you can JET the carb in 10 minutes is merely a R&R guy who has no witts about them when it comes to properly tuning an engine.
This would only happen if the first jet you selected did the job right the first time, and the odds of that happening is slim to none.

If this shop merely took a jet you provided and installed it for you....and charged you an hour and a half...then YES, you got ripped off.
But if they actually jetted and fine tuned this machine properly, you didn't get the best deal out there, but you didn't get yanked either.

Old 01-07-2005, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider

^^^^^^^^^^

He's right.

Some mechanics dont have a clue to where to start on jetting. They either go way big or way small..and to properly tune it is another story if the needle jet clip position (pain in the *** on my mikuini) has to be moved up or down that in itself can take forever if you never done it before.

Maybe the mechanic took the entire carb out..cleaned it..jetted it..then put a bad jet in..or so many other variables. Instead of just fliiping the carb over (if applicable) to change jets.

Only jetting experience I have had was on my Warrior. Got the advice from you forum members and did it myself,but try to tell me it isnt intimidating your first time.

Aint nothing wrong with takin it to a stealership if your not confident enough to do it yourself.

And I (we) have all seen quads dirtbikes etc. being brought in for oil changes..bulb replacements...switch replacements before.

If you know of a mechanic try doing it yourself next time,but make sure he/she is there watching over your sholder!

Old 01-08-2005, 01:52 PM
Pro Rider

http://2112systems.com/~daddog/jetting/

this used to be the site where some guy could re-jet a yfz450 in a few minutes

Old 01-08-2005, 04:18 PM
Trailblazer

i got a slip on and a jet kit put in and diled in for 45 bucks

Quick Reply: I hate to do this!