Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

WHAT MACHINE TO BUY

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2000, 12:52 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did a post at the Yamaha side for this question also. I just sold one of our machines this morning and am trying to decide between a Rubicon and a Grizzly. Here are my questions. Is the suspension that much plusher that a 450es? I had a 450es and I thought it was too harsh. I test drove a Rubicon at our local Honda dealer and it was hard to tell. Also was a little concerned about all the sensors for the computer monitored transmission. Has anyone out there had any problems with the tranny? I really liked the way the 450es tracked through the woods and reliability was never a question with the Honda. Any feedback would be appreciated as I need to decide this week what to do. I am lacking a machine to ride now. Thanks

Old 09-13-2000, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider

The Rubicon has a very good ride. It is much improved over the others. The transmission is very smooth and the engine has plenty of torque and HP. There is no lag when you apply throttle. Maybe an 1/8" and it starts rolling. When it shifts, it does not jerk or lunge. It is very smooth. The compression braking feels like you have downshifted. the SureTrac makes steering very light, but pulls very good. The three headlights are the brightest I have seen. The bulbs look like the halogen style in cars and trucks. The engine is the most quiet that I have ever heard. You can let the transmission go full auto or you can use the ESP shift program and maintain any gear you want. The low range is also nice if you are climbing or pulling or running large tires. The LCD readout is easy to glance at and see the large readout and even tells you when you need to change the oil. The clock/hourmeter is nice to. I have been very happy with mine and it seems like it is gonna be like the 300's, just turn the key and ride.

Old 09-13-2000, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider

If your looking for a smooth riding wheeler, i hate to say it, but you really can't beat a 500 sportsman. It will offer you the best ride of all the wheelers in it's class.

Old 09-13-2000, 01:47 PM
Pro Rider

I believe he said he was looking at the Rubicon of Grizzly. How much time have you spent on a Rubicon jvc?

Old 09-13-2000, 03:28 PM
Pro Rider

Never rode one, but i can read a shootout in a magazine when the polaris kicked the rubi's ****.

Old 09-13-2000, 03:31 PM
Pro Rider

Of the two I would have to say the probably the Ruby would be the best choice of the two.

Old 09-13-2000, 04:21 PM
Trailblazer

I also own a Rubicon, and I have owned two others Honda’s. I was very hesitant about the computers and sensors on the Rubicon. But, I can say that I have no problems with the wheeler. My other two Honda’s had no mechanical problems at all…none! Oil changes and general care of the fourwheeler(s) is all it took. I did have a Neutral light stop working, and to date, that is the only problem I have had. (Since it was on the 450s, they had to replace the whole LCD display).

I would lean towards the Honda, but do not count out the Sportsman or Grizzly. They are both good bikes, but I my own opinion is they are going to need more TLC.

Ride and ride often….

Schtick

Old 09-13-2000, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider

You read it in a magazine. Who was the author of the article?

It seems more and more when someone asks a legitimate question, they get unsolicited answers and that don't pertain to the original question. Almost everytime I see "I don't want to bash this or that", the next sentence is flaming away. Or, when someone says, "I hate to say this", they may hate to say it, but they go right ahead and do it anyway.
Within the last year, there is much less true help with problems and accurate information being exchanged and more and more BS. I also see that some of the most knowlegdeable and mechanically inclined people have left and the smart alecks are finding they have only themselves and folks like themselves to argue and pass insults with. I don't really believe there are actually 12,000 (or whatever today's number is) of registered and active members. If there are and this is the cream of the crop, the forum is in a rueful state. Maybe a pay-per-use site would be better.

Old 09-13-2000, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider

Buddy, i'm not bashing anything! Settle the heck down! I only told him that the Polaris rode the best out of the quads in the shootout! That's it! Your the one with the problem!!! I'm in here alot and over the last year i've been heckled and what have you by jackarses just like yourself! "dirt wheels" had the #%*##% shootout! Read the dang thing!!! I don't give a rats **** what he buys, just thought if he was worried about ride comfort to consider the polaris!! Nuf Said!

Old 09-13-2000, 05:17 PM
Pro Rider

Try to form complete sentences with correct grammar. I have no idea what you posted. You have been left with what the little bird left on the limb, at this point. Try to read the original post and respond accordingly without divergent cogitation.

Quick Reply: WHAT MACHINE TO BUY