Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

New motor "BREAK in MYThs"

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New motor "BREAK in MYThs"

Wow I just thought this was a myth I had learned at the race track!( I use to race go karts.) I didn't know it was the rings. I knew there was something to it though! Thanks for the link! I never would have thought about that.

That metal was just flakes and stuff,little fine particles I could see when I poured the oil over a white pan. Believe it or not ( I can't explain why) A LOT more metal came out of his "Babied" motor than mine. I would say 2 to 3 times as much and there were much bigger pieces in his. Nothing harmfull though just flakes.

Old 01-12-2005, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider

Eventually your buddies will probably run as good as yours, its just taking longer to get broken in..Initial break-in is probably in the first few hours, but I have really noticed on my godsons sportrax, now around 70 hours, is getting stronger all the time. I have been testing my Foreman also, around 60 hours on it, and the top speed keeps climbing a couple of miles per hour every couple of weeks. I dont know how long this is going to continue before the power starts going down instead of up, but both these 4-cycle atv's keep getting better and better.

Old 01-12-2005, 07:58 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both of the raptors we compared were 2002's off the same delivery truck. I had the 02 for just under a year and his bike was never as fast as mine. Later got an 03 which I again broke in the hard way and it too was faster than the other 02. All of this was completely stock, and it's all the proof I need to continue to use this method.

Old 01-12-2005, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 2fun
Originally posted by: Semms40oz
I've always broke my motors in fast using a method like that in maddogs link, just one question.... that article only mentioned "all 4-stroke" motors, so is it still good to break in 2-strokes the same way?
That is a VERY good question.
I would ASSUME that the same would apply, but have not put this to the test, nor have I seen anyone post about doing it like this.
I E-mailed Motoman (the author of the article in Maddogs post) about this several months ago, but never got a reply from him.
Perhaps someone else could try to contact him with this question?
I would have to disagree with you 2fun. As you know 4 strokes have a constant supply of lube to keep it going. While 2 strokes depend on gas to lub it properly. But when your running a 2 stroke fast for a long period of time, the oil won't lubricate as well due to its igniting so fast. Thus that is why it is so common that 2 strokes burn up...Improper lubrication. It doens't make sense to me to run it full on a 2 stroke but i agree don't baby it completly.
On a side note...I'll be using that method as soon as we rebuild the yfz.

Ok maddog whats your opinions on 2 stroke break in?

Old 01-12-2005, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider

i had some time on my hands after work so decided to compare pistons from my 87 lt250r. i broke it in once babying it for a few tanks of gas and the second time i only baby'd for the first tank of gas. the second piston did look better but it also wasn't run as many seasons as the first. this may be tough one to solve without someone who knows for sure speaking up.

As for the lube problems, if your running a good 2-stroke oil in the right ratio you won't have any. I personally always run an extra .25 oz to the gallon during break-in just for piece of mind.

Old 01-12-2005, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider

i had some time on my hands after work so decided to compare pistons from my 87 lt250r. i broke it in once babying it for a few tanks of gas and the second time i only baby'd for the first tank of gas. the second piston did look better but it also wasn't run as many seasons as the first. this may be tough one to solve without someone who knows for sure speaking up.

As for the lube problems, if your running a good 2-stroke oil in the right ratio you won't have any. I personally always run an extra .25 oz to the gallon during break-in just for piece of mind.
It doesn't matter what ratio you have when your engine is going 8000 rpm. Its not going to lube properly and wear down faster. The gas/oil mix won't be able to cover the entire piston in that amount of time.
^^^IMO^^^

Old 01-12-2005, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider

I have never had a piston burn up due to lubrication problems. remember that 2 strokes will lubricate the cylinder from both sides of the piston, below it on an up stoke and on top of it on a down stroke. I have put a hole in a piston or 2 due to a clogged main and once because of a crank seal leaking but never had one sieze.

I have seen a few 2-strokes sieze, usually because of the wrong oil/gas ratio or very low coolant levels.

Old 01-12-2005, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider

[i]Originally posted by: blindside350It doesn't matter what ratio you have when your engine is going 8000 rpm.

Your YFZ tops out above 8000rpm also.

Old 01-12-2005, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider

I have never had a piston burn up due to lubrication problems. remember that 2 strokes will lubricate the cylinder from both sides of the piston, below it on an up stoke and on top of it on a down stroke. I have put a hole in a piston or 2 due to a clogged main and once because of a crank seal leaking but never had one sieze.

I have seen a few 2-strokes sieze, usually because of the wrong oil/gas ratio or very low coolant levels.
Ok, go up to Coos Bay Oregan and ask Parkers or Moes atv shops how many seized up quads they get. ALOT. The beach at spinreel-horsefall is nicknamed "Blaster Beach" Due to all the blasters seized (because oil injecter failures/running to hot for to long e.g full throttle) I've seen tons of people towing back blasters/banshees and a few LT500 and LT80s. If you want me to explain why they burn up so much at the beach I will.

Our YFZ will top above 10000rpm because there is a constant supply of oil. Try running a 2 stroke 10000 rpm for a prolonged period. That'd be insane!

Old 01-12-2005, 09:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a long time snowmobile tech, I have a lot of experience with two strokes. I RARELY see a lubrication failure, unless something happens, for example a crusty old oil injection line has a crack in it. The most common failures I see are abnormal combustion, like detonation. Usually caused by varnished carbs, or old gas. The second most common failure I see is "cold seizure". Where the piston expands faster than the cylinder material, and they stick. Interesting to note that different piston and cylinder materials have different expansion rates. For example, a Nikasil cylinder expands and sheds heat much faster than a cast iron sleeve. I've been told Mfgs. actually match these rates to minimize chances of "cold seizure". Which makes it especially important to warm up your engine before cranking on it, especially if you use aftermarket pistons, which may not be the same formulation as stock. Most times you can determine what type of failure it might be by the type of damage on the piston.

Quick Reply: New motor "BREAK in MYThs"