Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

New motor "BREAK in MYThs"

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 04:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New motor "BREAK in MYThs"

Originally posted by: blue250r
Well i hope you go for it if you do i will get you some readers in the UK Then you can advertise youself as an intenational publication [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Sweet! Sounds like I'm already 1/1000 of the way there! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-13-2005, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

Wonder how the bearings hold up over time? Can you compare the longevity of a race car engine that is proven to have better compression due to tighter sealing piston rings to one that was broken in at a more moderate pace? Any studies exist on this?

/Jon

Old 01-13-2005, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 2fun
Originally posted by: maddog56
Originally posted by: ixRAZORxi
I just read that whole link! It took me all evening! Hmm I might be buying some JB weld.....
If I had access to a dyno, I would be. Unfortunately I dont and prices for dyno time are expensive not to mention the closest one is still far away from me.

I spent hours reading every page on that website, really changed the way I thought about engines and taught me things I never knew.
Same here. Eventually, after I get out of college, I'd like to buy a dyno and set it up. I'd run my own tests to see which pipe, etc actually DOES make the most H.P., etc!
Maybe start up my own magazine with true results! Now THAT would be cool!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Sounds good to me. Can I be your VP of bike tests?

Old 01-14-2005, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: pendejo<br
Sounds good to me. Can I be your VP of bike tests?[/quote]

Sounds good bro [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
We'll talk about this later. I've got a ceertain 96 Banshee I want to do some testing on..... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-14-2005, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider

Just don't hurt it, I'm still interested in it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-14-2005, 02:06 AM
Range Rover

So whats the final verdict. I dont claim to be an engine expert at all but when i told some of my buddies about this guys website and how he said to break in the engine by riding it hard, they all said he was smoking crack. Now I dont know the right answer for sure but my gut feeling would be to go by what the manual says to do and not by what some guy on an internet site says. But I am interested to hear some more opinions on this "Break in 101" website that maddog `56 posted.......[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 01-14-2005, 02:24 AM
Pro Rider

Well, after reading it, his theory behind it makes alot of sense to me. I do have to point out that he is refering to NEWER 4 strokes and not old school motors. For some old 2 stroke motor with a new top-end, the proper way to break it in may be totally different. I would like to see some proof in person though, just for peace of mind.

Old 01-14-2005, 02:31 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two guys I ride with are Calif. Highway Patrol. One broke his patrol car in easy, and the other broke his in hard. From what I hear, the one broken in easy is patheticly slow!

Look at Motoman's collection of pistons! I have broken in all my recent machines hard, and no problems whatsoever.

Old 01-14-2005, 02:38 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: reconranger
Look at Motoman's collection of pistons! .
Thats one of the main things I was looking at too.
The guy has built and torn apart over 300 4-stroke motors, and has the parts to show for proof.
Thats way more motors than I have ever torn into!

Old 01-14-2005, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider

When my younger brother purchased a new honda civic a few monthe ago he was told to "drive it like ya stole it" during break in. This came right form the dealership. I wasn't aware of this until last night when the topic came up. just thought i'd share this.

Quick Reply: New motor "BREAK in MYThs"