Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Update on my Rancher ES "short"/eletrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 10:56 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on my Rancher ES "short"/eletrical problem

Finally got her loaded up and took to car wash, cleaned everything up. Checked after market battery and the -/+ were correct. Put in new 30 amp main fuse and went to connect terminals and it immediately blew. I then unplugged rectifier(sp?) and put in new fuse. Did not blow. Started right up and was purring. I then shut her down and reconnected rectifier and this time fuse did not blow, started right up and I started moving various wires, gently, to see if I could produce a short. Nothing. I took her for a spin and she ran fine. While it was running I again tried to produce a short, could not. Now, from time to time I wash her down during the warm weather months with the garden hose. I do not run her around in the mud on purpose, only if need be..so she doesn't get caked with mud too bad. Prior to this problem I had not washed her down since fall and we had quite a bit of snow and I had been pulling my daughter on her sled. Some snow had accumulated up inside and had started to melt. Could this short been in the rectifier plug and a simple wash down and some drying cured this problem?
Manic mechanic

Old 01-13-2005, 12:28 PM
Range Rover

i cracked my front headlight and it got mosture in it and i was blowing fuses. the electrical system cant have any mosture in it i guess? i use a hairdryer to get the moisture out

Old 01-13-2005, 03:53 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Sure can...especially if youre washing with a pressure washer. It can really drive the water into places it shouldnt go. If things are fine now, once its all dried out..then id think that was the problem. If you have time, get some dielectric grease and go thru the connectors and grease them up. This will help to seal them from moisture in the future, and be careful with the hose, if youre gonna use a presure washer.

Old 01-13-2005, 04:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

I only put the pressure washer on spots that it would not hurt, I do not put it directly on the connections. I will buy some lube and see what happens. Thanks for the help.
MM

Old 01-14-2005, 09:31 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Water not a good thing connectors. It can corrode the copper. I think power is supplied to the reg\rect directly from the battery through only the main fuse. So...I suppose a poor connection at that spot could have caused a pretty good arc\surge at the connector. Could be by unplugging and reinserting the connector you actually cleaned the terminals. Or you have an intermittent thing going on and it's not actually fixed but just dormant. Try it out good close to home before you get too far back in the "toolies".

Old 01-14-2005, 01:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

I heard that man...this time I will take the wifes' cell phone, it was a long yet scenic walk back last time.....
MM