Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda declares war on V-Twin Motorcycle Market!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2000, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harley is all about image. Period. They're great if you don't miind be stranded occasionally and working on them all the time. A guy I work with has one and has had something go wrong with it three times this summer. Once on the way to Laughlin for their little shin-dig. Stranded 300+ miles from home.

He's even said Hondas (and other manuf.) are far superior at all aspects, but it's the "Harley" name that keeps him going back. I'd never own one, but atleast it's a motorcycle....

Old 09-16-2000, 03:19 PM
Pro Rider

there must be a big profit on harleys, i cant imagine it accutly costs that much to make a bike. ive seen harleys that cost more than new cars, seems kind odd to me. i had a old professor in college that bought a henderson-excelsor a couple years ago brand new. he paid more for that then his car. im sure harleys are good but they seem to cost a little to much for what they are.

last week i saw a client come into the office on a new BMW bike. WOW now thats a bike. had hand warmers, cd changer, and a Very smooth engine looked good too.

later
jon

Old 09-16-2000, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider

I've been riding street bikes for 23 yrs. When I first started riding, Harleys were a joke! Unreliable, oil leaking POS. That has changed since then, and thay now make a damn fine bike! However they still suffer from three things.
1. Overweight.
2. Underpowered.
3. Overpriced.
If they would just add liquid cooling, I might consider paying the over inflated price. There is a certian prestige in riding a Harley. That V engine design is a bad one if your not water cooled, same as the Virago. Running too hot is in the design. That rear cylinder bank is always going to run too hot, it never gets any air flow.

Old 09-16-2000, 05:24 PM
Pro Rider

I personally believe that you are correct Jonathon.

I "heard" a while back from a reliable resource, that the mechanics at the Davidson shops get a 50% discount on anything (bikes included)

I like all makes of atv's and road bikes. BUT the looks of the new Honda, come this time next year there might be a nice shinny red one in my garrage.

Old 09-16-2000, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider

Anyone knowledgable in Honda road bikes?

Give an estiment on how many $$$$ this new VTX 1800 will set a fella back

Thanks

Old 09-16-2000, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider

I'd guess around 12-14 large. I have a CBR and it retails for 8,000+.

Old 09-16-2000, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider

Well, since we are on the discussion, what are you guys takes on American Iron Horse bikes????

Old 09-16-2000, 09:13 PM
Trailblazer

I think the point has been missed by many about HD motorcycles. The previous post on "New Styling" or "Updates" that is why HD has remained so strong. Why change it if it works? There are now so many Softail Clones out there one can only conclude that "Imititation is the sincerest form of flattery". They have done updates too that many long time riders will not purchase like fuel injection! I didn't personally order the fuelie because I like it air cooled and carbed ; ) Simplicity!

Those that call a HD a rip off have never owned one, probably not ridden one, and probably cannot afford one. Nothing against those people but just don't knock it till you try it ; )

I have owned 2 HD's in my life. The first was purchased in 1987 Brand New for $9,500 Out the door. Just this summer I sold it for $14,000. Never had a problem with it. Routine maintainence and 59,000 miles later it was worth $4500 more than I paid! Try that with a Honda. Don't get me wrong I love Honda's and Yammys but they are disposable bikes for disposable income whereas a HD is an investment. I have seen too many personal friend spend $15000 on a new Honda only to have it be worth 5 grand less the moment the tail lights hit the end of the dealerships driveway. Try selling it 10 years from now and you'll be lucky, if it has any miles at all, if you get 1/3 of your original purchase price. Now who spent too much on a motorcycle? Just my 2 cents ; )

Old 09-16-2000, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not to sure what you mean by "disposable" with respect to Honda and Yamaha. I saw a 87 Venture with 175,000 miles on it. The guy said he never had to fix a thing on it. Other then tires, brakes, battery, etc. Never seen or heard of a Harley with that kind of mileage. Without major repair/rebuild. That hot running motor would have melted down long before that. But it would still have retained its resale value I'll bet. If I were going to buy a bike to last me, rather then as an investment, it wouldn't be a Harley. For the record, I have ridden a Harley a few times, and could afford to buy one if I wanted. They sound cool! But the vibration wears at you after a couple of hundred miles, and they have sh*t for cornering clearence. Although they do look nice!

Old 09-16-2000, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

i think the saying by Mr. Barnum is approiate here. He said there is a "Sucker born every minute". u must be a sucker to pay $4,000 more than when it was new for a Used Bike with 59,000 miles on it. miles are ware and tare. Hondas have an excellent reliablity record. I just cant see spending that kind of money for the name "harley" on the side of the gas tank.
if the harley engineers think that "if it aint broke dont fix it", then they are not engineers. what if Ford and GM trucks stayed the same for 25years, no one would buy them because the compition would surpass them(dodge, toyota). a well engineered vehical Does change over the years, it gets better. and it should NOT vibrate, that means its not ballanced correctly.

The BMW and Goldwing are Bikes with refinement.

later
jon

Quick Reply: Honda declares war on V-Twin Motorcycle Market!!!!