Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default woods quad... which is best?

Originally posted by: ridinsmooth
all i got to say is dont use

ds650.gasgas hp300,yfz450,450r,banshee,blaster
yeah, the 450R's and the YFZ's were made for MX mostly, although they can be changed. the DS and the Banshee are all out drag quads, Blasters are wicked little machines, but take money to make race ready, and the GG 300HP, well i haven't heard too much about it so i couldn't tell ya.
the best woods racer of all time was the 250R no doubt about it, just watch some vids of the Blackwater 100 and see how much of a beating these machines take, the majority of quads at that race were 250R's. also the 250R's are so versatile, you can practically build them for anything except mud bogging. the Raptor would be ok with some gearing changes maybe, and the 400ex is close to the 250R's, but with a 4 stroke engine in them, the 400ex's are versatile too, except for mudding and dragging. the Z400 falls in about the same category as the 450's, it's MX oriented, but can be built for XC, the Predator is an all around quad like the 400ex and the 250R, it can be made to do just about anything......and who's to say you can't go fast through the woods, to win races you have to, if you have good awareness you can go fast, but i do agree you most likely won't be going 70+, unless you get a decent straightaway.

my choices would be ranked as follows 1.250R 2.400ex 3.Raptor 4.Predator 5.Z400 6.450R 7.YFZ450

Old 02-02-2005, 12:36 AM
Range Rover

price range.... i really cant say for sure.. beacuse i will end up financing either way.. either through a bank, or a dealer... i am planning on getting one this summer after i get some cash on me... but i doubt i will have enough spare money to drop cash on anything lol. so i really like the predator... just the whole package.. its lower to the ground.. its wider or so it looks, it seems to have a good amount of bang for the buck as far as being able to do whatever with it.. mx, xc, and just toying aorund. i had assumed that the pred would be close to the 400EX as far as versitility goes.. being able to do whatever with them... but i wasnt sure.. i havent ridden one or anything yet. the only sport quad i ever owned was a 300EX and it did alright through the woods but i want a LOT more power than it had.... i am pretty sure the YFZ is out... because i just dont want a yamaha right now.. i dont need that snappy power in the woods.. i need something that is smooth and consistant... i have no need for an MX bike. the 450R was my next option... but i am a little iffy about the front end happiness of the 450R... you cant get faster in the woods with your front end in the air all the time... it just isnt how its done.... you get faster by keeping all wheels on ground... atleast in tight stuff anyways. its just the whole concept of the pred i like... it seems to me that is has the most on it for the price... shox, frame geometry, egonomics, and just like i said overall versitility... correct me if i am wrong on this but i am pretty sure i will be looking for the predator this summer. the raptor was also a consideration.. but i dont konw if its "tipsy" or not.. i have read both sides of the story some say it doesnt... some says it is... so i donn about that... any info on it would be awesome as well. anywyas im gonna read the rest of the info i got.... thanks for the help and keep it commiN! Lata!

Old 02-02-2005, 01:20 AM
LTZ
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What extra dough on the Z??? By me they are the same price or the Z is cheaper and they are faster also! Overrated??? Best all around quad on the market IMO. Does exactly what it was designed to do...

Old 02-02-2005, 09:11 AM
RAJ
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: LTZevil400
What extra dough on the Z??? By me they are the same price or the Z is cheaper and they are faster also! Overrated??? Best all around quad on the market IMO. Does exactly what it was designed to do...
Now thats funny! The Z is faster....lol. I don't know about the over rated thing....because I don't think they are rated!

Old 02-02-2005, 10:08 AM
Pro Rider

I'm probably going to take a beating for this but, a banshee with torque pipes is about the most fun I've ever had in the woods and I've been riding for over 20 yrs. If you can spend the time to maintain a banshee (jetting, cleaning air filters, buying rear tires, changing oil, etc.).......wheeeeeee yooooooo NOW WE'RE TALKING FUN! Well now that that's out of my system. A lowered and widened rappy, a 450r, a yfz 450, a pred, would all make excellent choices. Stay away from the 400 class if you want way more power than your 300 ex because you will be sorely dissappointed (especially with that underpowered, gutless, overrated, piece of ----, they call the 400ex) sorry had to get that out of the system too. lol.

Oh yeah I almost forgot. Keep in mind NOTHING sounds better than a good running shee either.

Old 02-02-2005, 10:20 AM
LTZ
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: RAJ
Originally posted by: LTZevil400
Now thats funny! The Z is faster....lol. I don't know about the over rated thing....because I don't think they are rated!
"i highly doubt i will be getting a Z400... if i was going to get one of those i would probably stick with an old 400EX and put a pipe on it or something... i think the Z400s are overrated in my opinion. ive never got to ride one.. but i watched the Z400s and the 400EXs race at a local track with crappy riders on both machines.. there were about 10 of them.. 5 Z's 5 X's and they where really close... so in my book the Z isnt worth the extra dough"

Read the post before you put your foot in your mouth. He was comparing the Z to the 400EX in price and performance and that's what I was commenting on.

RAJ, you might find this interesting...... clicky

Old 02-02-2005, 03:37 PM
Range Rover

dude.. that article you linked to is wacko.. 4 words.. NO WAY IN HELL! would that happen. the 500 makes more power... and if you test the one that ISNT closer gears you will see that the 400 doesnt have a chance.. ive seen 400EXs with pipes keep up and some beat Z400s on a MX track. no way that a Z will beat a predator. just isnt gonna happen. not in a drag.

Old 02-02-2005, 04:10 PM
Pro Rider

Dude i have 2 friends with 400exs, good quad, i also have a friend with a z400, way faster, better in trails, higher acceleration, and almost as good reliablity as the ex, the EX is underpowered for a 400 sport IMO, theres nothing wrong with the z, its tyed or better in trails than the EX and better than the EX on the track, this is just my experience, i chose the Predator for my serious trail quad and maybe cross country, but i like them all.

my 02

7qs7

Old 02-02-2005, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider

Hes right, no way in hell a z400 would SMOKE a predator, it may keep up but not killl it,

also get some pics up of your 06 z450, i wanna see one LOL , sounds like you have to much alchol in your blood system

Old 02-02-2005, 04:15 PM
Pro Rider

Dude i have 2 friends with 400exs, good quad, i also have a friend with a z400, way faster, better in trails, higher acceleration, and almost as good reliablity as the ex, the EX is underpowered for a 400 sport IMO, theres nothing wrong with the z, its tyed or better in trails than the EX and better than the EX on the track, this is just my experience, i chose the Predator for my serious trail quad and maybe cross country, but i like them all.

thats stock for stock im talking about also

Quick Reply: woods quad... which is best?