Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

New TCS Shocks on400ex

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2000, 05:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told differently... I was told that all Axis shocks were supposed to be set for 3" of sag from the box...

That said... I know Axis custom builds shocks for a particular purpose. Ride height is going to be set for the intended environment the shock is going to be used it. With most bikes riding in the 11" range from frame to ground (with aftermarket suspension topped out), it would suggest that many applications would probably run about 3" to 3 1/2" of "sag" from a topped out position to get the "around 8 inches" of gnd clearance that is desirable for most conditions.... Of course this will vary substantially from bike to bike, setup to setup, person to person....

Old 09-21-2000, 10:16 PM
Trailblazer

will those razors fit on the stock rims of my 300ex? 4ply or 6 ply? i warped my front right rim a little, i kissed a tree and haven't decided if i need to buy another stock one or when i get new tires, get the rims too, decisions/decisions! Hollie our daughter loves her Rancher, she is 20 yrs. old and is 5'4" she keeps up with us, she did flip it once, scared her real bad and me!! i think you'd really like it, she don't like to change gears, loves the automatic!

Old 09-21-2000, 10:51 PM
Trailblazer

atvrider300ex,
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the razors will fit on your stock rims. They are 4-ply and I've only rode on them once and that was when I had my 250R. I'll sell them for $60 ( $45 for a new one) if you want them. I'm definetely going to pick up a Rancher as soon as I can ( In college=limited budget). I'd take a Honda 300 4x4, too. Do you know of any for sale in your area? Are there any good places to ride in Fayetteville?

Old 09-22-2000, 12:34 PM
Pro Rider

Did you get the TCS rear shock or have your stock rear shock modified by TCS? If you did neither of these things, then this is part of the problem. Actually more weight is being transferred(not really, but I don't know if there is a better term) to the front shocks. Basically, what I mean is that the rear doesn't sag down enough to match the fronts so it looks too low. I actually had to lower my fronts because I like them to sit a lot lower(a-arms almost parallel to the ground). However, I did have a TCS rear shock on my bike as well. When your husband sits on the bike the frame should be parallel with the ground. If it is not, then you need to make some adjustments. If you think that the fronts sit too low then you need to increase the tension on the top spring or add some crossover rings to bring the ride height up. TCS shocks are very adjustable, so you should be able to solve your problem fairly easily.

Old 09-22-2000, 01:56 PM
Trailblazer

hey Skunky, did you put your new TCS shocks on yet? what do you think about them?

Old 09-23-2000, 01:32 AM
Pro Rider

Has anybody seen much front Works triple rates? I have a set. I want sag too. When I first got them, they were so sprung, the front end would audibly "slam" out when I left the ground. I lowered the clip as far as I could. About half way up the range, the whole spring set up becomes loose and will just flop around. Anyway, I have it set just tight enough to hold the springs in place, but they still hold the bike up pretty high. The front end still "clunks" to extension, but it is not as bad. They sure don't bottom out...
Any suggestions?

Old 09-23-2000, 01:50 AM
Pro Rider

Hi Phil....

Although I have ridden a couple of sets of Works and looked at them on several peoples bikes, I haven't ever tried to tune them, so I can't tell you exactly what needs to be done. But what it sounds like to me is that the two light springs are too high a rate. It sounds like you need a lighter spring rate on the two lighter ones so that you are still compressing the assembly and sitting on the crossovers when just sitting on the bike.

Another option would be to send them to TCS for an upgrade. They will hard anodize the bodies, add reservoirs, re-spring them to your specs, change the valving mechanism to a more modern shim stack design and valve them to your specifications.

If you decide to play with the spring rates yourself, shoot me an e-mail and I'll try to hook you up with some info...

Old 09-23-2000, 08:50 AM
Trailblazer

GABE: did you ever bottom out tcs shocks?
are they made for jumping, or trail riding. It just seems that sag would make it bottom out easier.

Also, i am probably going to get a set of fronts for an early christmas present ( i am paying for 3/4 the price). So i have a couple other Q's.

K&K atv sells them for 650, but they are not specific about them, they dont's say SCS.

CT racing sells them for 750, but they don't offer chrome, and i am wondering what i am getting.

and NAC's catalog sells regular, and another "Long travel" type of them.

All these different typs and things are confusing me. Also how long will it take to get them?

thanks,

Old 09-23-2000, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider

Mine are setup for motocross, even though I mostly do CC racing (I like to practice on MX tracks, and can tolerate the ride in CC). Very seldom do I bottom them, if I do, it is a very light bottoming, not a harsh jolt like the stockers.

The sag does not allow the shocks to bottom more easily, when you jump the suspension "tops out" and you still have all your travel and damping available.

These shocks are a vast improvement over stock.

CT racing can set them up anyway you like. The chrome option is $100. I believe everyone sells the fronts for $750 now, sounds like K&K just hasn't updated their website.

Todd, the owner of TCS works out of CT Racing's facilities. Call CT racing and ask for him & he'll set you up how ever you like and answer any questions you may have.

This time of year, the wait shouldn't be too bad. In late March, I had to wait approx 3 weeks for mine if I remember correctly. I had my rear shock done in July, I sent it off on a Monday, they had it ready and shipped it next day air to me that Friday.

If you haven't looked at my webpage, take a look, lots of jumping pics. Many are with the stock shocks, but some I have my TCS's on.