Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

SPONGEY FRONT BRAKES

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPONGEY FRONT BRAKES

I have ran across several riders in the last few months complaining of no front brakes on their hondas even after several attempts for permanent repairs throught the dealers. They say they have them fixed and in no time they have no brakes again. All have been drum brake models. I too after about 50 hours on my 04 Foreman have experienced this problem. I am guilty of playing in the mud and water holes. First time I lost my front brakes I removed the front wheels and adjustment plugs in the drums and adjusted the brakes. You could see muddy water in the drums. After the first or second mud hole, same problem , no front brakes. The handle would squeeze all the way to the grip, but you could pump it up each time you needed brakes. This time I removed the drums completely and cleaned all the mud, shoes , seals on the drums and backing plate. Then re-adjusted the front brakes and they were great this time. I coated the drum rubber seal with a light coat of grease this time and hopefully it will water proof itself a little better. I do realize it is my own fault from playing in water and mud. If we are gonna play, we are gonna have to pay, or at least learn to clean the brakes ourselves. I dont really understrand how the water and mud makes you loose the lever feel on the front brakes, but if you clean them really good they will work great once again.

Old 02-22-2005, 01:25 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPONGEY FRONT BRAKES

same thing happened with my front right side on my 2001 foreman 450s there is a red plug that can fall out if it does water and mud will get in and u will have no front brakes i glued the plug in and i haven't had any problems since