Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

They really slapped the face of Honda

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 11:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default They really slapped the face of Honda

I read with GREAT amazement,the new article by Greg Hall in the CONNECTION about Honda's lack of leadership in creating new and exciting ATVs that many of their past customers so badly desire..And I got to tell you,even though I did own a brand new 03 Rincon,this Greg Halls article NAILED down how I feel about Honda ATVs today..

I completely agree with his article,Honda is indeed falling WAY behind the other manufactures in the CATCH-UP game of exciting ATVs[there are a few exceptions-450r and MAYBE the new 500 Foreman?]..Not many of us want an ATV that is OVER-PRICED and JUST OK to ride today[can you say HONDA],most folks I run into want an ATV that is ALSO FUN to ride.

Old 02-27-2005, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider

Well, you are absolutely right. its kind of funny when the company that half of the planets pupulation braggs is the "BEST" is actually at the back of the pack right now. the last time i walked into a honda dealer, i was bored within 2 minutes and left. all i saw was that every utility model looked like the same exact thing, just minor size difference, and they all had the same DRUM BRAKES and they all had that same weak (longetardidally mounted engine) or whatever they call it! whats the fun in riding something that looks like everything else? come on honda start at least using Real brakes, than maybe they'll upgrade to real motors, and maybe after that they can make a couple different looking quads so new buyers can actually tell a difference in what is what!

i already know i will be Flamed upon here shortly, but you know its true so dont get mad at me, get mad at HONDA for making a boring out-dated line up of atv's. granted i dont mind the older models (like mid to late 90's). but now, all they have done was take that same exact age-old technology and put "new and improved PLASTICS" on them and bam, you have the 2005 lineup.

its true that other manufactures also use one base style in all their utility quads, but they also have up to date features, and alot of stuff that actually makes them worth all the money we pay for them. unlike what honda is doing. if honda updated all their quads, than you bet they will sell alot more of them.

Old 02-27-2005, 12:26 PM
Pro Rider

My feeling from reading the article was the author needed a topic to keep his job. There really is no outcome since it is just an opinion article - meaning there isn't any data to support the notion that Honda should change their strategy. Even if Honda did a million things to be on the cutting edge then he would just be writing his article about another manufacturer. Would the added cost of all this R&D really lead to more customers for Honda? Is it possible for Honda to sway enough "swing" customers (given each manufacturer has brand loyal customers who will never switch) to cover the cost of R&D?

I am guessing that Honda spends enough money on marketing analysis to know what most of their brand loyal buyers want. I am guessing the Honda strategy is based on durability and lowering total cost of ownership. If you go bleeding edge then you risk putting out a product like the Raptor that turned many away from Yamaha brand. This occurred not only from a bad product design but from a company who chose not to stand by those who got ripped off by repeatly having to deal with the one-way bearing and the weak tranny. I definitely fall into this category. Yamaha will be hard pressed to get me back. Where I used to be a "swing" customer, I now fall more into the brand loyal category. I could be persuaded to try another brand but it wouldn't be a Yamaha.

Anyone venture to guess why Kawasaki dropped the race program and didn't keep it and build cutting edge race quads? As much as websites are dictated by the racing crowd, it isn't necessarily where the money is.

Honda has many more years to cash in on the reputation they built for reliability. It is a simple business strategy. Perhaps Greg should apply for a position at Honda and make a name for himself by taking Honda into the next decade with a new sales strategy and show he can recover the R&D costs in increased sales. I am guessing it is much easier to write an article.

/Jon

Old 02-27-2005, 12:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

BS,
Greg is one of the TOP DOGS in ATV Connection and did'nt need anything to write about in order to keep his job,especially Honda..What he wrote about is plain and simple..Honda is far behind the rest of the ATV manufactures in that they keep creating the same old and outdated engines,suspensions,and designs,while most of the other manufactures are constantly seeking to upgrade their models ASAP..

Folks USED to buy into the Honda is BEST in the reliability department to justify their purchases..But being a long time ATVer myself [since1983],you just cannot say that anymore..Honda builds ATVs with ANCIENT drum style brakes,poor outdated suspensions that are not adjustable,and the list goes on/on..And I beleive that most ATVs since 2003 are as reliable as any new Honda you can buy today..

Honda=Reliability?You can only SELL that for SOOO long before a REAL change is needed.

Old 02-27-2005, 01:14 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: MUDDY4LIFE
BS,
Greg is one of the TOP DOGS in ATV Connection and did'nt need anything to write about in order to keep his job,especially Honda..What he wrote about is plain and simple..Honda is far behind the rest of the ATV manufactures in that they keep creating the same old and outdated engines,suspensions,and designs,while most of the other manufactures are constantly seeking to upgrade their models ASAP..

Folks USED to buy into the Honda is BEST in the reliability department to justify their purchases..But being a long time ATVer myself [since1983],you just cannot say that anymore..Honda builds ATVs with ANCIENT drum style brakes,poor outdated suspensions that are not adjustable,and the list goes on/on..And I beleive that most ATVs since 2003 are as reliable as any new Honda you can buy today..

Honda=Reliability?You can only SELL that for SOOO long before a REAL change is needed.

Bill, there must be a lot of stupid people out there, since so many continue to buy these ancient, overrated, unreliable ATV's. Honda definitely needs to step it up in the feature department, but you are dreaming if you think their downfall is imminent. That is strictly wishful thinking on your part. I like reading your "tirades" regarding the "troubled" future of Honda ATV's, but for someone who dislikes them so much, you sure do post a lot in the Honda forums. You easily post more in the Honda forums than you do in the Suzuki forums. Why is that?

Maybe Greg Hall will write an editorial on the fabulous way Suzuki has handled the reverse issue on the almighty KQ. I'm sure you'll agree with him then also?

Later Bill.

Old 02-27-2005, 01:44 PM
Pro Rider

WELL.
what about the new rubicon.
front disk brakes selecteble 2 and 4 wheel drive new ajusteble rear shocks.
i dont think honda is that far behind.
i think they are going in the right direction.
if they put every new idea on there quads this year then what will they do in years to come.
it costs money to upgrade and thats what they did this year with the new rubicon.
and you know somthing else.
the new rubicon is $500 cheeper then last years modle.
so how do you guys figure that there falling behind.
almost every name brand out there in this size catagory is more money.
look at the new cats more money heavyer and way more uglyer
the new brute farce is a joke.
and polaris cost more and weighs 150 lbs more.
yamaha is way more money then them all.
i think all brands have there good and bad points.
if they were all the same then we would find somthing else to complaine about.
some quads are good and some are better its just a matter of choice and what you use them for.
ive had three different quads in the last three years and i will say this about my honda and that is
it dont have the power my kawi has but it will out work it.
and my cat cept on braking axels and wering out bushings.
my cows belt slips under heavy work conditions.
and my honda has bin trouble free since iv had it and i now have 3000 kilometers on it.
(2000 miles)
and i cant say that about my cat or my kawi.
honda might not be the most exciting quad on the market today but it will outlast any outher quad and when you go to sell it you will get more money for it on trade or selling it privetly.
honda has the best resale of any quad out there and that came frome my local honda, kawi, suzuki, and arctic cat dealer.
all one store.
so you might think there behind but thats not the case there just making sure you get a quality machine with all the right stuff so you can have a trouble free quad to ride.
as far as im concerned a honda will outlast any other quad out there and cost you less in the long run.

Old 02-27-2005, 02:11 PM
Pro Rider

So nice to see the Honda Bashing Society doing well, I for one have better things to do. Like riding my outdated Honda, which I'm quite happy with.
I do like to have something to work on though, so maybe I'll pick up one of the newly designed ATVs from another manufacturer to give me something to occupy my evenings and rainy weekends. When it's a proven design, maybe I'll get one to actually ride, unless of course I need a belt to hold my pants up with, in which case I'll have to scavenge the drive belt, and go back to riding the Honda..

Oh well. I guess a little rain must fall in every Utopia.

And before I forget, flame on..

Old 02-27-2005, 02:20 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Isnt it funny, how harley can sell motorcycles which the design goes back to the 30s?Or Top Fuel dragsters use the 60s hemi motor for their starting point. Even NASA uses technology from the chinese back in BC. When you flush your toilet, thank the Romans, for coming up with the idea of how it works. Guns still work the same way as they did back in the 1890s. TV hasnt changed since the 1960s.
My honda has drum brakes, but at any time I want, I can lock the tires up...how is disk brake gonna improve on that?
There are some things where its more important to have reliability than cutting edge. I admit, sometimes its kind of boring, going into the woods, with the knowledge the quad will make it back. If I wanted wrenching and cussing and cell phoning friends to come get me, ...then Id get another brand.
I guess my point is, if it aint broke...dont fix it. Just because the idea is old, doent mean its defective.

Old 02-27-2005, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider

i agree honda needs to step it up but ,when they build a quad its done right and has reliability.look at the 450r 10 hr test came out on top. when sales drop honda i think will step it up.i buy what i like and if another quad manufacturer makes something i like i buy it i am not brand loyal.doesn't matter what you ride just ride.

Old 02-27-2005, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

i agree that honda id behind times. i mean i ride a 400ex and i love it i also had a 300ex and i loved it 2. honda is a very reliable quad, but i think that honda and yamaha needs to stop using the same design. both of them all there atvs look the same. you also think that honda would have put liquid cooled on their 400ex. i mean i love mine and never had no trouble overheating but i do think they need to get up to date. but hey i ride whateever works. im not brand worthy

Quick Reply: They really slapped the face of Honda