Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

450r vs. Yammy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 450r vs. Yammy?

If they are both stock the 450r is about .3 mph faster.

Old 03-26-2005, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default 450r vs. Yammy?

My cousin has a 450r with a k&n, jetted, full yoshi exhaust, stage 2 hot cam andbig gun rev box andi've rode it plenty, it feels alot slower than mine but when we race he beats me. When i get my cam we should be abought the same. I think the reason everybody says the yamaha is faster is because of the trx's smooth power delivery.

Old 03-26-2005, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default 450r vs. Yammy?

I am going to be getting a new 450 later this year as well, and have not decided which one to get.

I do have a few questions for you folks; namely, have those of you that are saying the 4-fiddy-R rides "way smoother" than a YFZ even tried adjusting the compression clickers on the YFZ? My son has a YFZ, and we turned down the compression clickers by about 4 clicks all the way around, and it made a huge difference in plushness. I'm wondering if the Honda is even smoother than that, or if you were complaining about the stiffness of the YFZ without having spent the time to dial it in.

Also, does the Honda have a less "cramped" riding position than the YFZ? If I were to get a YFZ I would likely have to get a taller steering stem, and perhaps a taller seat so that it would not feel so cramped.

Like I said, I haven't decided what to get yet, and I'm just checking out both options right now. My son having a YFZ makes me tend toward the Honda, just to have something different. Too bad our local Honda dealer is such a dick.

Old 03-27-2005, 03:30 PM
Pro Rider
Default 450r vs. Yammy?

this is just my opinion. i have rode both and i actually like the way the yamaha feels as far as what you all call uncomfortable. i think it handles curves awsome. but, also when i rode the 450r i was just in an open field so, im sure it handles just as good. i thought they were both quick bikes and they both had awsome power. i would get the yfz just because i like the looks better then r and i kinda like the electric start even though that 450r that i rode started up on the first butter smooth kick

Old 03-27-2005, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default 450r vs. Yammy?

To me neither one feels all that cramped. I'm gonna get a longer stem because i have to bend over a little when standing.

Old 03-28-2005, 05:16 AM
Pro Rider
Default 450r vs. Yammy?

I have ridden and raced both on the dunes, and I'd have to say from personal experience the YFZ is hands down faster. With equal mods, the YFZ widens the gap even more. I waited till AFTER the Honda 450 came out, because I was very much a Honda man (read that as a TRX250R, TRX250X, CR250R, CR125R guy). I have owned and ridden Hondas most of my life, and give them the utmost respect, but after much research, and my own experiences with both, I have to say this:
Power-wise, the YFZ is hands down the winner. Stock, and modded.
The TRX450R is more comfortable as far as the suspension and seat goes. However, they wheelie a lot worse than does the YFZ. Too much IMO, at least for the dune riding I do.

The seat is harder, and the suspension is also harder on the YFZ, but the suspension can be dialed in with the spring pre-load, and clicker adjustments (I am working on these now). The seat, I have just gotten used to, and can easily ride for hours without complaint.

As was mentioned, the power delivery of the two machines is totally different. The Honda has a very smooth delivery, the YFZ has more of a midrange "hit" that feels more like a 2-stroke in some respects.
Hope this helps in your decision. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I am 6'2" tall, and occasionally will hit my leg with the handlebars on my YFZ, but this too can be changed for cheap.

Old 03-28-2005, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider
Default 450r vs. Yammy?

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Old 03-28-2005, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider
Default 450r vs. Yammy?

I bought the Red and White YFZ, but I have to admit, the new LE yellow and black looks VERY sharp! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-03-2005, 03:20 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 450r vs. Yammy?

The Trx450R is the smoothest quad i have ever rode. I like it because it shifts gears real smooth so when it comes to downshifting around quads it doesnt give u that abrupt stop feeling. The lowend power is a little weak, but i heard that changing the sprocket down 1 tooth will make a big difference.

I was also wondering what are some good mods for a Trx450R ??

Old 04-03-2005, 08:16 AM
Pro Rider
Default 450r vs. Yammy?

Originally posted by: HondaBerger
The Trx450R is the smoothest quad i have ever rode. I like it because it shifts gears real smooth so when it comes to downshifting around quads it doesnt give u that abrupt stop feeling. The lowend power is a little weak, but i heard that changing the sprocket down 1 tooth will make a big difference.

I was also wondering what are some good mods for a Trx450R ??
HRC kit seems to be the way to go.

Quick Reply: 450r vs. Yammy?