Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Tippy 250ex, Any advise?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 07:28 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tippy 250ex, Any advise?

The wife has been complaining that our new 250ex has become more tippy in the turns lately so I took it out today and I think she's right. I haven't ridden it much but it definately seems to lean more in the corners. It's completely stock and only has around 15 hours on it. I recently put DG nerfs on it but there is no way that would cause it. I checked the tire pressure and I'm running 4 to 5 psi in them. I'm attributing the rolling to the shocks breaking in as she's been doing alittle jumping in the yard( about a two foot jump). Does this sound possible or do you think there is something else going on? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-06-2005, 07:33 PM
Pro Rider

i would let some air out... i like to run 1/2 a pound to 1 pound under reccommendations, probably not the safest thing to do but its how i prefer it

Old 03-06-2005, 07:41 PM
Elite Pro Rider

if u want u could flip the rims... that will add a couple of inches to the width.

Old 03-06-2005, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider

you could do that, but it would eventually wear out the lugnuts... whatever u do, dont even consider spacers if shes gonna be jumping

Old 03-06-2005, 08:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try upping the preload on the shocks. That should reduce the corner lean. Another, more expensive solution might be a lower profile rear tire. You will probably want to keep the same tire height, just get something a bit wider, flatter, and square edged. I can't really think of anything that would cause your Honda to become more tippy so soon. Could be shocks, maybe even riding style?

Old 03-06-2005, 11:36 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the advise guys. I'm pretty sure that there is no adjustment to the shocks but I could be wrong. The lean isn't that bad, it's just definately more than before. It may be that she just needs to get used to it. My wife tends to be rough on things so flipping the rims or adding spacers may not be such a great idea. It seems that anything mechanical she touches, brakes down (ie my truck, the lawn tracter). No way will she ge nere my bike.

Old 03-07-2005, 10:23 AM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!

I think it's all in your mind. Your probaly just used to it now and are riding it harder and faster. I got one for my daughter and cant keep off of it. It's a blast. I also put DG nerf bars on and a few other things.

Old 03-07-2005, 10:30 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree! I laways thought the 250 was a little tippy in stock form. It also "pushes" a little in turns. First thing I did was replace those balooney stock tires with some ITP Holeshots on ITP rims which are wider than stock and have a greater offset. Makes the bike about 3" wider in the rear and 2" in the front. Nice increase in stability!

I would suggest Holeshot H-D tires on T-9 rims for an eastern trail rider.

Old 03-07-2005, 11:09 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: reconranger
I agree! I laways thought the 250 was a little tippy in stock form. It also "pushes" a little in turns. First thing I did was replace those balooney stock tires with some ITP Holeshots on ITP rims which are wider than stock and have a greater offset. Makes the bike about 3" wider in the rear and 2" in the front. Nice increase in stability!

I would suggest Holeshot H-D tires on T-9 rims for an eastern trail rider.
Thanks for the suggestion. Should I buy the ITP's in stock size? What size are you running in the front and rear?

Old 03-08-2005, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider

i would go with a set of wheel spacers all the way around and maybe a lowering kit that will stop any affect of it fellin tippy

Quick Reply: Tippy 250ex, Any advise?