Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

250R Pipe/Silencer Seal

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2000, 01:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up an '86 250R a couple weeks ago, the pipe/silencer (full FMF system) seal is in rough shape. What should I use to seal it? I've been told by one person to use high-temp silicone and another to use some sort of clamp, like Cascade or TM Designworks. I'm sure either of these techniques will work, but I'm confused.

Old 09-24-2000, 07:16 PM
Trailblazer

frey,
nice to see you are still around.
like you I also picked up a 89 250r. It needed some work, but it finally was done 2 weeks ago.
now I am saving up for new plastic and a ims gas tank(current plastic is beat to ****e) as far as seal goes, use both. better safe than sorry.
also have you purchased an exhaust for your 400?
I am in the process of getting a sparks system.
take care and good riding.
ron

Old 09-24-2000, 07:16 PM
Trailblazer

frey,
like you I also picked up a 89 250r. It needed some work, but it finally was done 2 weeks ago.
now I am saving up for new plastic and a ims gas tank(current plastic is beat to ****e) as far as seal goes, use both. better safe than sorry.
ron

Old 09-24-2000, 07:19 PM
Trailblazer

frey,
ron

Old 09-24-2000, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider

I'm still here. Where'd you think I went!

No exhaust for my 400EX. It is staying the way it is for a long time. I bought the 250R for tinkering. I'll probably go with the TM Designworks o-ringed clamp.

I apologize for not posting pics of my R on my web site. I screwed up when scanning, and haven't made time to re-scan. Look for an update soon.

Old 09-25-2000, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider

Where is it leaking exactly?

I would personally, pull the whole thing off, take the flange off the jug and put a new gasket on there, get a new split ring for the flange, then get some expansion chamber sealer. It's putty like, wrap some on the flange, shove the pipe on and wipe off the excess. It's really easy to work with. Then, get the rubber hose and "O" springs that go over the silencer and pipe connection. Put some chamber sealer on that connection also. That should seal up everything.

Old 09-25-2000, 05:24 PM
Pro Rider

It's not leaking. I unbolted the silencer and noticed that the silencer/pipe seal is shot. I was wondering if I should just have FMF send me a new seal (it's full FMF exhaust), or if I should buy an O-ringed alloy clamp. It is the pipe/silencer clamp, not the flange on the cylinder.

Where should I look for rubber hose? Hardware store?

Trending Topics

Old 09-25-2000, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

Don't go to a hardware store, go to a Honda dealer. They have the section of hose and the springs. You may have to order them and wait a few days to get them. While you're there, pick up some chamber sealant. That oughta take care of it.

BTW, have you repacked your silencer? It's also easy and cheap to do and does help with performance and noise.

Old 09-26-2000, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. I'm talking about the pipe/silencer seal, and my FMF system doesn't have any place for springs at the pipe/silencer joint. I plan on ordering the stock seal, which consists of a (rubber?) "silencer seal" and 2 "silencer seal bands" (o-rings?). I hope this works with an FMF system.

FMF owners, what are you using?

Haven't repacked yet. I bought some crappy packing from the dealer, and couldn't get it wrapped tightly. I'm ordering precut FMF repacking.

Old 09-26-2000, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider

OK, we are talking the same thing. I have all FMF exhust on my 250R. It's the point where the silence slips over the pipe? I think that's right. Well, there is a rubber hose that fits that and two O-ring springs go with it. Pull the silencer off, put the hose onto the silencer with the O-ring springs, put the silencer back on, then shove the hose over the joint and roll the O-ring springs into place. Gosh, I hope that's it!

Quick Reply: 250R Pipe/Silencer Seal